We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memphis In May BBQ

new york
Level Contributor
331 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Memphis In May BBQ

Help! What do I need to know about attending - best time to go, how to navigate, costs, suggestions, etc.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Memphis In May BBQ

If I wasn't on a team this is what I would do...

First go on to MIM website and buy your Thursday Kingsford Tour of Champion Tickets for $12 a person for the 4pm-6pm time slot

Admission Gates are free on Thursday and Friday from 11am-1pm.

1. 11:20am arrive at the Beale Street gates, enter the park, and find the "Cooker Caravan" Kiosk in the middle of the park. Sign up for the 12:30pm and 3:00pm Caravans.

2. 11:45-12:15 make a loop around "Rib Row" by walking back towards the Beale Street Entrance to the north and making your last left and walking back towards the South along the riverside booths. Meet back at Cooker Caravan kiosk at 12:30

3. 12:30-1:20 Tour team booths, make friends, take notes of teams that invite you back.

4. 1:30-2:30 walk around the "Shoulder and Whole Hog" sections

5. 2:50 meet back at Cooker Caravan

6 3:00-3:50 Tour team booths, make friends, take notes of teams that invite you back.

7. 4:00-6:00 Tour Kingsford Tour of Champions teams. Pig out on Pork, judge it, have fun, make friends.

8. 6:30 Watch Ms. Piggie Idol competition. Utter hilarity

9. 8:00 Go back to the teams you made friends with and party until the Cops shut down the park at Midnight. No team can charge you to get into a team booth, you must be invited in as a guest, so it is customary to throw some cash in the bartenders tip jar for the free drinks, food, and hospitality.

This also works on Friday...just replace Ms. Piggie Idol with visiting your new bbq friends tents.

Like I said, just a sample of what can be done...go on the MIM website and google the contest and you will find a bunch of suggestions.

22. Re: Memphis In May BBQ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 10, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Memphis