We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live music?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Live music?

My partner and I are coming over to the US in August-October and I am chasing down something to do.

We love live music so if you can help point something out that would be very much appreciated.

Rock and Roll (Rolling Stones, Beatles, The Who)

Soul (James Brown, Etta James)

Blues (BB King, Skip James, Robert Johnson)

Punk (The Stooges, Ramones, The Clash)

If you know any bands or bars that do stuff like that help out an Australian lol.

Thanks,

Jake

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,029 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Live music?

You'll find all varieties of of music on Beale; not just blues. Also, you can hear plenty of music both inside and outside the clubs, restaurants and bars. You'll enjoy walking the street, listening to the music until you find somewhere you want to stop.

There are other venues around town with live music as well. I would suggest you check memphisflyer.com closer to your dates to see what music is going to be available during your stay. There may be some headliner concerts during your dates as well, but you'll have to wait until closer to your visit to see who may be here.

Also, fall is a prime time for various festivals around town. Often there are graet bands playing at those. Some festivals are free while others charge admission, but the entertainment is included either way.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Live music?

Thanks very much Deb :)

Any advice on local original artists to check out?

Barnhart
Level Contributor
605 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Live music?

For a good flavor of Memphis Soul, I always tell people to catch James Govan at the Rum Boogie. And the place right next door (which you can access via a door at the back of the bar so it's a bit of a 2-for-1 on the cover charge) is about as close to authentic blues as you'll get on Beale.

For more rock based blues, make sure to check out Will Tucker at BB's; he usually plays in the afternoon either Saturday or Sunday. Very good young kid who knows how to play.

Silky O'Sullivans has a variety of music inside and out. For some good acoustic music, check out Buddy Nemons who will play in the afternoon either Saturday or Sunday.

Handy Park will also have a band or two, usually one blues and another on the main stage playing everything from Elvis to heavy metal depending who it is.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,029 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live music?

You're so welcome.

5. Re: Live music?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, January 17, 2014