We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memphis june 2013

Tea Gardens...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Memphis june 2013

will be in memphis in june 2013 looking for good clean accom in a convenient location and any tips on memphis on tourist locations and restaurants with good local meals and music.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,911 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memphis june 2013

If possible, I suggest you stay downtown, where you can walk or take the trolley to many attractions, restaurants and bars. You should also note that there's a free shuttle from downtown to Graceland to Sun Studios, but you must take the studio tour to use it.

Loding downtown runs from the inexpensive Vista Inn to the high end Peabody or Madison, with everything in between. I suggest you click on the "hotels" tab on the left side of this page to see reviews from TA members like you.

The same applies to attractions and dining. They both have tabs on the left side of this page. Dining downtown can mean everything from Gus's Fried Chicken to something upscale like Felicia Suzannes or Flight. Memphis is famous for its barbecue, so you'll want to try that while you're here. Downtown, I'd suggest Rendezvous, A&R or Central's new downtown location. Slightly away from downtown, I'd suggest Interstate.

As for attractions, it depends on what you like. Besides Graceland and Sun, just downtown alone you have Mud Island, Civil Rights Museum, Rock and Soul Museum, Gibson Guitar factory tours, Redbirds games duirng the summer months, The Cotton Museum and several other places.

Beale features all sorts of music; not just blues. You can stroll the street, hearing plenty of choices both inside and outside the clubs, and settle in somewhere when you find something you like. If you're looking for something in particular, let us know and we can make specific suggestions.

Tea Gardens...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memphis june 2013

Thank you very it is giving me some food for thought on our trip. we are actually driving from chicago to LA and going through nashville and memphis but utilising route 66 as much as possible with side trips to different towns and areas to get a feel for the states

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,911 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memphis june 2013

You're so welcome.

Sounds like a great road trip. Along Rt. 66, I'd suggest dining/snack stops at Dixie Truck Stop in IL (haven't been there for many years, might check to see if it still as good as it used to be), Ted Drewes in St. Louis (best frozen custard) and Delgadillo's Snow Cap Drive-In in Seligman, AZ (the most fun you'll have eating an ice cream, ever!).

4. Re: Memphis june 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 08, 2014