We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shuttle to Graceland?

Iowa
Level Contributor
55 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Shuttle to Graceland?

We are driving to Memphis, plan to park for the day at Peabody Place or similar, and were wondering if there are any shuttles to Graceland? We didn't want to have to park, then leave to drive to Graceland, then drive back to downtown again. We're staying in Germantown so hotel shuttles are out. Also, does anyone know if Poplar is the route to go to S 2nd/3rd and to Beale, Peabody? I've heard we don't want to take Union from Germantown. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
The Peabody Memphis
The Peabody Memphis
3,671 Reviews
Memphis, TN
Graceland
Graceland
15,934 Reviews
Memphis, TN
Germantown
Germantown
Tennessee
Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shuttle to Graceland?

I don't believe there are any free shuttles. Blues City Tours and Sun Studio have shuttles, and people on here have posted that they will take you to Graceland. However, Blues City is a paid tour (I think) and Sun Studios is if you are touring Sun. There is nothing that I am aware of that you just hop on; Graceland is a bit of a drive from downtown.

It's really not a big deal to park and then leave again. It would probably be less expensive, as it would cost a lot to leave your car in a garage all day.

Union does not go out to Germantown. Union stops in the western part of the city and turns into Walnut Grove. Definitely do NOT take Walnut Grove, there is massive construction around WG and I-240 out east. Inside the loop (the interstate loop) WG is fine to drive on. There's not a problem with Union, it never backs up. A lot of people who live in the suburbs fear Union Ave for some unknown reason :) Poplar can be busy, but it's the most direct way to get from Germantown to downtown. Or, just get on the south leg of the interstate loop and go around.

I'd suggest just taking Poplar into town once, so you can see the restaurants and shops and see a little more of the city than what you'd get on the interstate. Poplar ends downtown at Front Street.

Mentioned in this post
Sun Studio
Sun Studio
9,079 Reviews
Memphis, TN
Graceland
Graceland
15,934 Reviews
Memphis, TN
Blues City Cafe
Blues City Cafe
2,912 Reviews
Memphis, TN
Germantown
Germantown
Tennessee
Memphis
Level Contributor
382 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Shuttle to Graceland?

I don't know why locals fear Union. I drive it all the time and even with the construction, I find it is quicker than taking Poplar. The construction zone is really not all that bad. I drive through it almost daily and have yet to have a delay. Maybe luck.

Just curious...could you drive to Graceland and tour and then go to downtown and park for the remainder of the day? Getting to Graceland from Gtown is quite simple.

Mentioned in this post
Graceland
Graceland
15,934 Reviews
Memphis, TN
Iowa
Level Contributor
55 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shuttle to Graceland?

I supposed we could go to Graceland first, I was just leary about driving in that area. I've read other posts that say you don't want to get lost around there. We're from small town Iowa so any words of caution gets me worrying. However, that does seem like a better idea to go there first.

Mentioned in this post
Graceland
Graceland
15,934 Reviews
Memphis, TN
Memphis
Level Contributor
382 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Shuttle to Graceland?

Actually, it is very easy to find Graceland and to get back on the interstate. Just don't go for a joy ride while down there. You should be fine!

Have a wonderful visit!

Mentioned in this post
Graceland
Graceland
15,934 Reviews
Memphis, TN
Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shuttle to Graceland?

I agree, Graceland is very easy to find. It's just half a mile at most off of the interstate, on Elvis Presley Blvd. I wouldn't worry about it during the day just driving around. You get off the interstate at EP Blvd and the street sort of splits, just stay to the left when you get off in order to merge onto EP. Graceland is a few blocks down, the house is on the left, but the parking, ticket booth, etc is on the right. I'd suggest just getting on mapquest.com before you leave and printing off an up close map of the I-55/Elvis Presley interchange just so you are familiar with it.

Plus, I don't remember when you are coming, but in my opinion it's best to go early in the morning when it's cooler out. You have to wait in line outdoors to get on the shuttle that takes you to the mansion, and if it's hot out the wait can be pretty miserable. It would be cooler early in the morning and maybe a little less crowded too.

Mentioned in this post
Graceland
Graceland
15,934 Reviews
Memphis, TN
London England
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Shuttle to Graceland?

I've posted here before about a FREE hop on hop off shuttle bus run I believe by Sun Studios that connects Sun with Graceland and the Rock n'Soul Museum.

The latter is only a few minutes walk from The Peabody.

Maybe a local could check with Sun as to whether its still operating, and post times of operation?

Mentioned in this post
Graceland
Graceland
15,934 Reviews
Memphis, TN
The Peabody Memphis
The Peabody Memphis
3,671 Reviews
Memphis, TN
pbz
Chicago
Level Contributor
436 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shuttle to Graceland?

The aforementioned Sun shuttle is apparently still operating, I will try to post the info I have later today. However the best way is to call Sun.

We didn't find the shuttle relatively useful for us (staying downdown). It seems to be more geared to folks staying @ Heartbreak Hotel and wanting to get to Sun / Stax. It doesn't start too early and only runs hourly. I also heard a rumor that everyone has to get off the shuttle for an hour at Sun. Not sure if that's true, a phone call to confirm would be in order.

/pbz

London England
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Shuttle to Graceland?

I took this free Sun shuttle bus in December, at that time it was doing a circular route between the must see R & S Museum at the bottom of Beale St (and therefore downtown) and Graceland and Sun Studios.

It did not call at Stax, it had been crossed out from their printed timetable, but I took that to be because there were relatively few visitors in town at that time of year. Don't let that put you off visiting Stax, an important cultural landmark and well worth going if you enjoy soul and funky music.

The shuttle timetable does indicate it stops at Sun for an hour, I assume in the hope you'll visit the Studios, but there is no requirement to do so, you could walk or trolley back to downtown from there easy enough. Personally I think anyone choosing Memphis for a recreational visit, really must visit Sun anyway, and after all they're offering you a free transportation service.

I seem to remember it was about an hourly service, from around 9.30 to around 5.30 I had no problem getting on the shuttle, but during busy times it may be different, maybe they have more shuttles? On the last shuttle of the day from Graceland, the driver offered to take me back to my hotel or wherever else I wanted downtown.

The driver was in the music business himself, and knows how important these music sites are to people from around the world, and takes pride in welcoming visitors who make the pilgrimage.

Mentioned in this post
Graceland
Graceland
15,934 Reviews
Memphis, TN
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shuttle to Graceland?

We were there just last week. Our first stop was Sun Studio. We enjoyed it there and since we had no idea of the area thought it would be a good idea to take their shuttle over to the Rock and Soul Museum. We left the car at Sun and had their shuttle take us so we didn't have to waste precious time getting lost and /or parking. We had just arrived, and had no idea of our surroundings yet. The shuttle came back for us at 6:30 promptly, we were the only ones, the driver was very nice. We thought that it was handy for our needs on this particular day,but the way it is arranged, you do have to get dropped off at Sun for one hour "all pasengers must disembark" Like it was already mentioned, if you are going to Memphis, you really need to stop at Sun Studio, it was a great tour. We actually thought of using the shuttle to go to Graceland the next day, but our plans changed by the minute and we found ourselves heading to Graceland in the car as soon as we realized they opened at 9 ... the other places we wanted to go to were not opening till 10. For a last minute decision, we managed to get to Graceland in less than 20 minutes. I am not one who likes to drive in unfamiliar areas but we made it no problem to Graceland, so you will be fine. I will be posting more about my trip in the coming days, it was wonderful.

Mentioned in this post
Sun Studio
Sun Studio
9,079 Reviews
Memphis, TN
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Graceland
Graceland
15,934 Reviews
Memphis, TN
Iowa
Level Contributor
55 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shuttle to Graceland?

Thanks for the update! It is really helpful. We do plan to go to Sun, so the tour there would be great, and the shuttle sounds good, too. We will also be in Memphis on a Sunday (only) so we want to try and cram everything in on one day. We will be arriving from Nashville, so we had hoped to go to Sun, Graceland, walk Beale and then whatever else we might have time for. Can't wait to hear more!

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Nashville
Nashville
Davidson County, TN
Graceland
Graceland
15,934 Reviews
Memphis, TN