We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mastercard & Travellers Cheques.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
90 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Mastercard & Travellers Cheques.

Hi there again-nearly time to pack and head for Tennessee!! Do have a question though. Is MASTERCARD readily available at ATMs etc??

Also how widely accepted are UK travellers cheques?

Not planning to use credit cards bit a pre loaded M/Card card. If I did want to use my main card how widely used is chip n pin around Memphis??

Cheers now!!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mastercard & Travellers Cheques.

I can answer about the travellers cheques, you will be able to use them on the plaza at Graceland but not really anywhere else. Over the years more and more places will not accept them because they can be forged.

We changed some in a bank in Memphis but they fingerprinted my wife before they exchanged them. Don't know if any places on Beale will accept them but I would guess not.

Here is an article that may interest you on chip and pin

www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399772,00.asp

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,108 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mastercard & Travellers Cheques.

Mastercard credit and debit cards are all widely accepted in the US at businesses and ATM's.

I'm not as sure about the traveler's checks. I think they are still widely accepted at hotels, banks will cash them, etc., but I think some businesses have shied away from them as there are a lot of conterfeits of these now. Perhaps Moviemaker or Elvisgillies will have some additional help on this.

I see Moviemaker beat me to the post. Anyway, if you are not a bank customer, you are now fingerprinted when you cash any kind of check there. For example, if someone writes me a regular check and I go to their bank to cash it instead of mine, I am fingerprinted.

Edited: 12:32 pm, September 03, 2012
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
90 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mastercard & Travellers Cheques.

Thanks folks! Useful stuff.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,108 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mastercard & Travellers Cheques.

You are so welcome.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mastercard & Travellers Cheques.

To be honest travelers cheques are more trouble than they are worth, sure, department stores Graceland etc will take them, so take some if you want, it's handy to spread things out (not keep all your eggs in one basket)

More places don't take them year on year, also although a lot of places actually do take them, it's a case of a server not being sure, checking with their manager etc, they are not handy in town, prepaid/loaded $ traveler cheque Credit Cards, & some cash is best

6. Re: Mastercard & Travellers Cheques.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 04, 2013