We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So Disappointed!!

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
So Disappointed!!

My husband and I have been planning a trip to Memphis for a long time now. As parents of four children, we were looking forward to a trip for just the two of us and driving all the way from Oklahoma just to stay on Beale Street and walk around with drink in hand and people watch etc.

We are driving all day on Friday (8/31) to arrive on Friday night at the Westin on Beale St and departing on Monday (9/3)

Now because of the hurricane, it looks like we be staying in hotel the entire time or walking around in the rain :(

I paid big bucks to stay on the street so we could just walk around and Im a sunshine girl not rain

We reserved through priceline and money has already been taken out of checking account so cannot cancel

So Disappointed!

Any ideas????????

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Beale Street
Beale Street
6,718 Reviews
Memphis, TN
Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So Disappointed!!

Hey Okiemom!

Do things which don't restrict you as much inside, allowing you nooks of privacy as well as room to move around, or wide open views of outside while you are enjoying food, drink or activity. FLIGHT is a great restaurant which has an enclosed sidewalk cafe on its front where you are sitting right by the vintage trollies and horse drawn carriages rolling by. www.flightmemphis.com

Take a ride on the RIVERFRONT LOOP trolley for a buck. It will circle down to the riverfront and give you a tour down and back on South Main St. to your starting point. (about 45 minutes) Some have live music aboard!

Visit the PEABODY HOTEL lobby, one of the best people watching spots around, and have a drink & maybe stay for the Duck March. Go up on the rooftop and check out the panoramic view if it's not raining.

ITTA BENA's restaurant atop B.B. King's has a bar in the center. Chilling there as dusk approaches brings you a surreal atmosphere unique to Beale. The neon signs from Beale St. glow through the blue painted windows wrapping around two sides of the building, letting you relax with a libation and conversation with Hubby while soaking in distant Blues music. As Mark Cohen said: "Do I really feel the way I feel?"

Backbeat Tours Uses old Elvis era city buses for the MEMPHIS MOJO Tour to take you on a journey led by an accomplished Rockabilly singer who serenades you as you travel to the Rock n Roll haunts - cool! www.backbeattours.com

Those are a few things which get you out from the dark depressing

interiors into dry entertaining venues, and all are close to your hotel.

HAVE FUN!

Mentioned in this post
The Peabody Ducks
The Peabody Ducks
5,044 Reviews
Memphis, TN
Backbeat Tours
Backbeat Tours
733 Reviews
Memphis, TN
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Rock N Roll Cafe
Rock N Roll Cafe
447 Reviews
Memphis, TN
Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,304 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So Disappointed!!

Right now, on weather.com, they are calling for possibly flooding rains on Friday, but only a 60% chance Saturday and 30% Sunday. While none of us knows what Isaac will do, its possible that after Friday, you'll be fine. Think positive!

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So Disappointed!!

I 2nd Peabody Lobby, A Backbeat tour & staying positive

Mentioned in this post
The Peabody Memphis
The Peabody Memphis
3,509 Reviews
Memphis, TN
Backbeat Tours
Backbeat Tours
733 Reviews
Memphis, TN
babylon
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: So Disappointed!!

worrying about the weather is kind of like sitting in a rocking chair....it gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere.....

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: So Disappointed!!

Thanks everyone for your replies thus far! Im typically a very positive person, but was just bummed to think about driving all that way and spending all that money to just walk around in the rain. But I am smiling and will make the best of it! I so appreciate your suggestions~KEEP THEM COMING!! :)

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: So Disappointed!!

Okie.. 2 years ago we had a trip planned to OC for the weekend. friday-sunday. We live in Pittsburgh so its about 9 hours to get there. I also booked the room through an online site that made you pay for it in advance.

Anyways, a hurricane hit on friday afternoon around 1 and we arrived at 2pm in a torrential down pour. We were quite sad that the trip we looked forward to all summer was going to be ruined. Well by 8 pm the rain stopped and all humidity was gone. When we woke up the next morning it was 80 and sunny and most tourist left so it was peaceful and quiet. There was some damage but no flooding so most all was open for business. We ended up having a great weekend. The best part was the 30 foot waves and our charter boat that was prepaid which normally has 80 people or so. We had 12.

Mentioned in this post
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So Disappointed!!

It will all be worth it .. just think the rain as just a bit of water and it won't spoil your holiday ... it'll be fun.

8. Re: So Disappointed!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 04, 2013