We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I guess I am just too cheap...

tucson
Level Contributor
145 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
I guess I am just too cheap...

We want to stay downtown for two nights right after labor day, but are daunted by 2 things (actually 3):

- high prices of downtown hotels and lack of availability

- like to return to a quite place to sleep

- am physically (and emotionally) allergic to dogs

I guess even though we would prefer downtown for obvious reasons we can look at the options in surrounding areas. We have a car and also have folding bikes. I just can't find enough about the feel and safety of some of the neighborhoods.I

One place we can get at about $150 is the Talbot Heirs, which does not allow pets, looks a little quieter than some other places and has street parking.

I am used to using priceline in major cities to get great deals, but it doesn't look good for memphis.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,109 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I guess I am just too cheap...

Are your dates the two days immediately after Labor Day? If they're later in that week, the Southern Heritage Classic football game will be driving up the prices and the crowds then. Its a multiday event and I would personally suggest avoiding downtown during that time unless you plan to partake of those activities as it will be very crowded.

Lots of folks like Talbot Heirs as its more like a suite or small apartment than just a hotel room. I don't think the Hampton on Beale allows pets, but some do complain that the hotel is noisy. The Doubletree, Springhill, Courtyard are pet free, but I'm not sure about the Holiday Inn or Madison. I couldn't easily find that info on their websites. I'm also unsure about the River Inn. Note that if you stay there, its not in the main downtown area, but on Mud Island. There are several other downtown choices as well that I did not check.

Downtown is more expensive because its so convenient. You can walk or trolley ride to many attractions, restaurants, bars, etc. If you opt to stay away from downtown, I'd suggest east Memphis, around Poplar Ave./I240 or north MS, around Goodman Rd./I55. You won't be able to easily bike from these locations to downtown.

If you have other particular hotels/areas you are checking, let us know and we can let you know about safety, location, etc.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,463 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I guess I am just too cheap...

We loved the Talbot Heirs Guesthouse--spacious, convenient, great owners. The parking was in a garage about a block away, bot on the street.

tucson
Level Contributor
145 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I guess I am just too cheap...

Wow... I just looked at the extent of the football event. It looks huge. Question - if we were to be there on, say the 3rd and the 4th - would it be really crowded or would the preparations interfere with our ability to get around and see/get into all the sights? Some of those multiday events mean preparations that block off streets, etc. And if lots of people come early and stay late it might be hard to get into the main attractions. I know you are not fortune tellers, but maybe someone knows from experience?

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,109 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I guess I am just too cheap...

I think you'd be okay early in the week and streets will not be closed off that early in the week.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I guess I am just too cheap...

A few days ago I booked two nights for next weekend through Priceline --- got the Peabody at $125/night (cheapest room on the Peabody website was $229/night), so the deals are there. I would think that if you dropped down to a 3.5* hotel on Priceline, you could find rooms downtown for under $100.

tucson
Level Contributor
145 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I guess I am just too cheap...

Thanks, everyone for the input. Not being big crowd people, it was very valuable to find our about the event. We moved our dates up a bit and decided to go with the Talbot Heirs guest house. Next stop the Nashville forum :)

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,109 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I guess I am just too cheap...

You're so welcome. Have a wonderful trip.

8. Re: I guess I am just too cheap...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, August 20, 2013