We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drury Inn or Sleep Inn at Court Square???

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Drury Inn or Sleep Inn at Court Square???

Hello!

We're planning on visitng Memphis in Sept (excited!!), and was wondering how far (actually, how long it takes to drive) is the Drury Inn on Sycamore View Road from downtown (Beale St)? I've read it's about 20 minutes; is this true?

We're also thinking of the Sleep Inn at Court Square on Front Street.

Anyone recommend one over the other? Thanks!!

Memphis
Level Contributor
382 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Drury Inn or Sleep Inn at Court Square???

Sleep Inn at Court Square will be your better choice. I haven't stayed at either but it seems several past posters have not had a complaint about the Sleep Inn.

Yes, it will take about 20-25 minutes to get from the Drury Inn on Sycamore to Downtown. And, most of the time, it seems there is constant construction on I-40 that could possibly make the drive longer.

scotland
Level Contributor
31 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drury Inn or Sleep Inn at Court Square???

Hi

The comfort inn on front street is on a par with the sleep inn. I have been in both a few times and not much to choose between them in quality, location or price. A riverside room in the comfort inn has great views over mud island. My wife prefers the comfort inn though but not sure why. Enjoy the trip.

Nashville
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Drury Inn or Sleep Inn at Court Square???

I can't comment on the Sleep Inn because I haven't stayed there, but when we visited Memphis last August, we stayed at the Drury Inn and we were pleasantly surprised. Very nice accomodations with a lot of extras (free hour of long distance, free afternoon snacks (nachos, chips, finger foods, beer, wine, etc.), free delicious breakfast, etc.). The rooms were very clean and comfortable. I would stay there again in a heartbeat. The 20 min drive didn't bother us. Parking down by Beale St was also very easy and free. I'm not sure if they still do it but when we were there, they closed off Beale St every Wednesday and had a big biker get together where everyone could bring and park their bikes along Beale St. You can still walk around and have access to all the bars, restaurants, etc. but without the traffic. Easy going crowd, lots of fun.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drury Inn or Sleep Inn at Court Square???

I've stayed at the Sleep Inn at Court Square a couple of times, and at the SpringHill Suites next door (owned by the same company, though franchised by different chains -- Choice Hotels and Marriott, respectively) a few more times. Both are about what you'd expect from their respective chains, with the SpringHill Suites offering a few more amenities, but there was nothing really to complain about at the Sleep Inn. The thing that makes these two properties unique is their location on the Main Street trolley line. From either one, you can literally step out the back entrance from the lobby and be no more than 50 feet from the trolley line. The rooms on this side also overlook the Court Square park. My kids, wife, and I really like this, though light sleepers might be bothered by the bells and other noise (which presumably would be less noticeable on the side away from the tracks. Parking can be a challenge if you return too late to the hotel -- the SpringHill Suites in particular seems to host a fair number of reunions and parties, and I've had to orbit the parking lot that they share with the Sleep Inn on a couple of occasions when returning after 10:30 pm or so; it's not usually a problem earlier in the evening.

If you look at my earlier posts in this forum, you'll see that I'm a big advocate of staying downtown when I'm in Memphis for pleasure. From the Court Square properties, you're a short walk or trolley ride from nearly everything in downtown Memphis. I travel on business almost every week, and get my fill of being in some anonymous hotel property in a suburban business park area, so when I travel for fun I prefer to be someplace that either has some character or is in a location that allows for walking to attractions,or both. The Sleep Inn doesn't offer much on the first point, but is great on the second.