We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memphis--safe??

virginia
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Memphis--safe??

2 above age 55 yr olds going on 3 day trip to Memphis...staying at Marriott Downtown (N Main Street). are we close enough to Beale to walk? Safe? Safet to walk to hotel at night?

We would like to go to hear some 'blues' music, but not so sure we want to start the adventure at 9 or 10 p.m.. I think I saw where BB King's had a band play around 5 on some days. Suggestions?

We will probably take trolley around and I know it stops across street from our hotel. We will do the Graceland thing, and probably Sun Studios and Starz. Trolley tour will be fun and we are even discussing doing the Mojo Beat Bus for entertainment. Probably will do maybe the mississippi river boat tour for dinner.

Suggestions for fun dinner places?

What time at night does the trolley stop running?

thanks for any help...

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,053 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memphis--safe??

Downtown is one of the safest areas of the city with a high police presence. You'd be fine walking back to your hotel at night or on the trolley. Use common sense, stay on the main throughfares and don't venture down any dark alleys.

The trolley's hours vary depending on the day. Below is a link to their website.

www.matatransit.com/trolleyService.aspx

There's plenty of good music on Beale of all genres, both in and outside the clubs. Just stroll until you hear something that interests you.

Note that there is a free shuttle from downtown to Graceland to Sun, but you must take the studio tour to use it.

I'd definitely recommend the Mojo tour. Its very highly rated and gives a good overview of the Memphis' musical history. Unless you just want to say you took a paddlewheeler in Memphis, I would skip that. There's not much to see and the food is not particularly tasty. For a better overview of the river, try Mud Island (open seasonally).

For dinner, you'll definitely want to try some barbecue. Downtown, I'd suggest Rendezvous, A&R or the Pig on Beale. Some also like Blues City Cafe on Beale. You might also enjoy Gus's, Hueys, Flight or McEwans.

2. Re: Memphis--safe??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, June 20, 2013