We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

may music festival

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
may music festival

hi guys. i am a 22 yrd old gal from NY, read about the music festival and am so excited to get down there. of course hotel availability is terrible!!

does anyone reccommend a 'hostel' (if they exist in memphis) cheap dirty hotel (the kind that wouldn't have websites) or alternate accommodation suggestion that would be within walking distance of beale street? i'm aware it'll be pricer compared to the value...but the peabody is something i just don't want to do since i'm traveling alone!!

also..any advice on the festival in general?

one last last thing...can anyone think of cheap airlines that run into memphis? everyone tells me it's a big "hub" but southwest and jetblue don't fly into memphis! how can that be....!!!

thanks in advance....jill

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: may music festival

I do not think Memphis has any thing like a hostel, and if we did, I would NEVER recommend anyone staying at it, especially a single female. I posted a topic about downtown hotels, with a link to a website that lists them all. Those are basically your options for hotels within walking distance of Beale. But please, as a single female traveling alone, you do not want to stay in a "cheap dirty hotel." I cannot emphasize that enough.

Memphis never has cheap flights, as we are the home of Fed Ex and they seem to keep the prices up on regular flights (or so I have heard). Air Tran is the cheapest that flies here. We are a Northwest hub as well.

I really don't know what other advice to give you for hotels, other than to stay elsewhere and take a cab. this is NOT the type of town where you want to be wandering around and staying in shady hotels period, let alone if you are a single female.

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: may music festival

i appreciate it! i have convinced a friend (male) to come with, and we think we're gonna drive. a lot safer!!! i appreciate, i'm gonna start calling the hotels and beg beg beg.... :)

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: may music festival

I would suggest calling everyday as well as getting on hotels.com or sites like that everyday. Also ask if they have a waiting list for cancellations that you can get on. The cheapest downtown is the Best Western but it has had bad reviews on here. The Comfort Inn is cheaper and seems to be okay according to people on this site. Otherwise, there is a Hampton Inn in the medical center which is not too far, a short cab ride or even the trolley during the daytime. There is a New Orleans themed hotel in Overton Park that I can never remember the name of, it's had so-so reviews. An American Best Inn and Suites around Union/McLean might be okay.

Memphis
Level Contributor
382 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: may music festival

I am confused...you want to stay in a hostel (a cheap, dirty, unsafe hotel) because The Peabody is not something you feel you can do alone?

The Peabody is probably booked anyway but it one of the nicest hotels in the state.

Memphis is NW's largest hub (one of three) which is why airline prices are higher. There is NO competition because of NW's hold on the market.

If want a low cost hotel, I would suggest looking into the Holiday Inn or Best Western downtown. They *might* have rooms available although doubtful.

5. Re: may music festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:00 am, December 14, 2008
Memphis
Level Contributor
382 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: may music festival

As I stated it is one of the largest three. Detroit and Minneapolis are bigger, but Memphis is the third largest and busiest hub for the Northwest in the United States. They fly 225 out of 300 flights out of Memphis daily. That is why the ticket prices are high here...they can charge what they want.

FL, USA
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: may music festival

I just gotta chime in-FLYING on NorthWorst kinda suxx anyway-flying into Memphis TN must be one of the most comparatively expensive flights in the US to take- don't know why unless the folks in Memphis are stupid enough to put up with this non-competitive garbage- the flights in the Nashville or even Little Rock are WAY cheaper- I find that odd, sorry- uusually when you have an active, informed and demanding business traveling community the city always has competitive flights for local business travelers- flying in and out of Memphis TN is a real pain- you would think the home of FEDEX and I think International Paper (?) would offer better choices !...dumb dumb stuff- My thought

Get answers to your questions about Memphis