We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

considering a short trip to Memphis

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
considering a short trip to Memphis

Hi, I am scouting around for info on a two maybe three day trip to Memphis.My son is into muic and last year I took him to New Orleans. He is 22. We want to go back to New orleans to support the city, but we thought we would stop in Memphis first. Was thinking of flying into Memphis, renting a car and then driving to New Orleans. is this far fetched? I wanted to go to Graceland, which will be interesting I am sure,but I do not think we will feel a need to be there all day. The other items on the agenda would be the Gibson Guitar factory, Beale Street and last but not least the Civil Rights Museum. I actually think I want to check out that mueseum more than Graceland. What kind of timeline would you think we would need to do these things?I was really thinking of flying to New Orleans after Memphis, but I am finding out we will probably be needeing to rent a car in New Orleans anyway. Last year we didn't need one there as the street cars were runnning.Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: considering a short trip to Memphis

<Copy of reply from dillardr>

The drive from Memphis to New Orleans is an easy 6 hours. I would stay in Downtown Memphis and you can walk or trolly to all the attractions, don't miss the Civil Rights Museum. If you like music, plan your trip during the Memphis in May festival. 3 days of music on the riverfront in Downtown Memphis. Check out their website, google Memphis in May Beale street music festival. Have fun.

As for my .02, a day and a half should be more than adequate. Graceland should take no more than 2 hours, total. Can't comment on the Gibson or Civil Rights tours. As for Beale St., nothing much going on during the day. If you are wanting to enjoy it for what it is, go at night. While Memphis in May is a great event, if flying in, you may want to check availability of hotels and rental cars. There are so many people that go to that, it might make your trip less enjoyable by having to deal w/crowds you might not otherwise have to by coming at a different time.

Good luck, and welcome to Tennessee.

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: considering a short trip to Memphis

thanks for your post we will miss the Memphis in May as we are planning for April. I am a little weary of the drive I didn't realize... but 6 hours is a long time!!! I checked airfare and its not cheap even though New Orleans isn't far. At least you think that we should be able to get what we want to do in that short amount of time.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: considering a short trip to Memphis

Please keep in mind too, that the main bridge going into NOLA is closed due to the hurricane (right?). The detours may make it a longer drive.

Flights in/out of Memphis are astronomical in price, so it's not even worth looking. Fed Ex has a real hold on the airport here so prices are high for everything, even cities that aren't that far away.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,550 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: considering a short trip to Memphis

I don't know what days you're planning your trip but May 8-10 has the Ponderosa Stomp way cool old (50's) rock-n-roll stars. It's usually in New Orleans but has been moved to Memphis this year. Check it out at http://www.ponderosastomp.com/home.php

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
225 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: considering a short trip to Memphis

i had no idea about detours and whatnut, but that puts more of a dent in my idea. And you are right airfare is incredible going there. I was on line last night and I typed in all kinds of scenarios: Philly to Memphis, newark to memphis, memphis to New orleans and vics versa I couldn'tbeleive the prices... incredibly high. I am feeling very defeated right now and I really had my hopes up for this trip.