We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days with a boy age 13 in memphis?

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Benidorm. spain
Level Contributor
211 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
7 days with a boy age 13 in memphis?

I NEED SOME HELP.We are travelling on monday for an NBA GAME, ánd after that we don´t know what to do, cause we have to stay for 6 nights, We are coming from SPAIN, and I,m feeling bad after reading other posts about safety , homeless, and panhandlers.. What can we do for the rest of the holidays.... is it better to rent a car and leve MEMPHIS to go to another city; we still have the chance to move anywhere else , because for the moment we only have a reservation for 3 nights in Memphis and our flight back home is 4 days later.... but we have to return MEMPHIS AIRPORT on the 27th.

I don't feel very well, because it´s a rare trip , planned only 6 days ago ,and specially for the NBA game,,,but nothing else,, it was very expensive to return home 3 days later , so we decided to stay for 1 week, GOOD OR BAD DECISSION?

FAMILY OF 3, BOY AGE 13, only one speaks english.

MANY THANKS

pbz
Chicago
Level Contributor
436 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days with a boy age 13 in memphis?

Don't worry about the reports of panhandlers/homeless, if you ignore them they will not bother you. Definitely stay in Memphis, you will enjoy Beale Street and perhaps some of the other local attractions like the Gibson guitar museum, Graceland, Stax and Sun Studios etc.

If possible try to stay in the Downtown area, at the Peabody, Madison Hotel, or the Hampton Inn Downtown 'at Beale' if you can afford it. I'm sure you will have a great time in Memphis.

If you are super big blues fans and you want to rent a car for a day I can suggest a drive to some important sites south of Memphis. But, there is no reason to rent a car to drive to another city just to avoid Memphis.

People I know who have been to Madrid have reported much more aggressive panhandling than I have ever seen in Memphis, so I am sure you will be fine. Here is a cheap web site I made with some more information on crime and safety in Memphis: www.Lowpft.com/memphiscrime.html

/pbz

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
101 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days with a boy age 13 in memphis?

oh please don't rent a car just to avoid memphis! we make at least one trip a year and stay as long as we can. when we go there are only the three of us, two girls in their twenties and one in her late forties. we have never once felt unsafe, just be smart like in any other city. there is so much memphis has to offer! stax is an amazing museum and so is the national civil rights museum. please have a great time!

England
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days with a boy age 13 in memphis?

I have just returned from memphis with my dad and 2 teenage sons - aged 13 and 14 and not once did they utter the dreaded words "Im bored"!

They absolutely loved it - we did gracelands, tupelo, sun studios, beale street - have a look at my write up on the heartbreak hotel. I really wouldnt worry - at home, my 2 are either glued to a football or the computer - but in memphis they were so interested in everything we did!

hope this helps - my write up is recky@rooo.freeserve.co.uk on the hb hotel search.

U.S.A.
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days with a boy age 13 in memphis?

putt putt is fun