We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning Trip to Memphis

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
124 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Planning Trip to Memphis

My wife & I are thinking of travelling to Memphis around march 2011 she is the elvis fan & I`m going along for the ride, we are going to Canada hopefully to see the Northern Lights & tour a bit but not sure how many days we need in memphis to see the main attractions.

We may fly straight to memphis first & then fly to whitehorse in canada but I would appreciate anyones views on how or what you can suggest for our memphis itinery.

As you can see the trip planning is in its infancy as yet but would be great for some advice.

Thanks!

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,965 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning Trip to Memphis

I would suggest three or four days in Memphis to take in the major sites of the city. Your best bet would be to stay downtown, where you can walk or take the trolley to many of the tourist attractions and you can walk around Beale at night, enjoying a few adult beverages, without worrying about driving.. Also, there is a free shuttle from downtown to Sun Studios to Graceland, but you must take the studio tour to use it.

Some ideas of other things to see in Memphis would be the Civil Rights Museum, Rock and Soul Museum, Stax, Gibson Guitar factory tours, Beale Street, our world famous zoo, Backbeat Tour's Mojo tour, the Peabody Hotel, the Cotton Museum, a stroll along the riverfront in Tom Lee Park, etc. You won't have any problem finding things to do to fill your time. What you do will depend upon your interests.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning Trip to Memphis

Hi, If you are going along to 'please the wife' you can always get her to go along somwhere to 'please you' I know of lots of couples where this is the case and the wife wants to see Elvis and the husband likes Tunica, everyone in happy

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning Trip to Memphis

That's a good strategy elvisgillies is pointing out. If you're not into gambling in Mississippi, then the original Bosco's Brew Pub on Madison or The Flying Saucer on Second are good places to meet and chat with local folks. The FedEx Forum will have great NBA or NCAA basketball to check out and enjoy the excitement (You don't know how much fun it is if you haven't tried it.), or try this: Mega Churches are well, exciting and entertaining in Memphis on Sundays and sometimes Saturday evenings. Check out Reverend Al Green's church (yes he's the same Al Green who had all the smooth hits songs in the 70's & 80's) or Hope Presbyterian whose music leaders have won Grammys and can "rock the house" on their state of the art stage without a pulpit on Sunday mornings (Pop artist Amy Grant showed up to sing and worship three weeks ago.) and Bellevue Baptist with 30,000 plus members & televised services wordwide. There, I've covered three addtional non Elvis areas without getting into the many eclectic museums, secular music venues or 30 or 40 of the World's best pork barbecue restaurants, hands down. Come on Inlimbo1, spend those 3 or 4 days in Memphis and the enjoyment will follow!

4. Re: Planning Trip to Memphis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 25, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Memphis