We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paddle boat from Memphis down Mississippi?

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
508 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Paddle boat from Memphis down Mississippi?

Hello

I've been searching the web but can't seem to find the answer so i'm hoping that someone on TA might be able to help.

Hubby and i are hoping to undertake a mini road trip and ideally would like to take a paddle boat (or similar) down the Mississippi and disembark somewhere down river (not really too sure tho!!).

Is there such a thing? If so, where would you suggest we cruise to? Ideally we'd disembark, hire a car and drive to New Orleans.

Any advice would be great :)

Thanks

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,784 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paddle boat from Memphis down Mississippi?

Well, there used to be a company that did this, but they've closed. A recent article in the local paper says someone will start these trips again, but I don't believe there are any right now. I have noted some articles below that mention some companies that do overnight cruises, but I don;t know anything about them.

commercialappeal.com/news/…

I believe these longer trips are quite expensive and, as you can read in the article, they won't start again until 2012.

Now, there are smaller paddlewheelers that cruise up and down the river around Memphis, Tunica, MS and I'm sure other river towns, but there isn't a lot to see from them other than farmland and levees. Generally the one in Memphis gets very poor reviews.

http://www.memphisriverboats.net/

http://www.tunicaqueen.com/

http://www.frommers.com/articles/5906.html

ehow.com/list_6108614_overnight-mississippi-…

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paddle boat from Memphis down Mississippi?

I know people want to do the trip on the river but I hate to say this, it's not worth it. We took the Memphis Queen (I think it was) up the river and back and it was pretty boring.

If you can do some sort of trip, fine, do it but don't put yourself out trying to book one, you could be dissapointed.

Edited: 3:18 pm, October 24, 2010
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paddle boat from Memphis down Mississippi?

I second what Moviemaker says ... we were expecting lovely riverside mansions .. but there were none. Spend a couple of hours on Mud Island instead -- shows a mini scale version of the Mississippi .. and its great.

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paddle boat from Memphis down Mississippi?

Hi Brandy,

I can see what you're searching for, however it is difficult to locate in one way trips down the Mississippi. The sites Deb listed probably give you most everything that's available. The Memphis Queen Line's boats are very colorful on the riverfront, but they make round trips back to the dock you departed from in an hour and a half, and the Tunica boat, which is there as one more draw to get you to the gaming tables down the road, makes a similar circle without a skyline to look at.

May I offer an alternative suggestion? While it's not the same thing as what you had thought of, you could book a nice room in a riverview hotel in Memphis, Utilize the rooftop for sunset views and riverboat watching, even hot tub river watching. Three of them have social gatherings together up there on thursday evenings starting May 1st as the sun sets over the Delta (spectacular!). Take a horse and carriage ride around Downtown and get off at Mud Island where you take an overhead tram to the MS River Museum, then walk the 1/3 mile scale model of the lower Mississippi, complete with correct river channels and currents (Take your shoes off & wade!) The main channel of the river brushes right up against the island, so river traffic rolls by up close and personal. Relax in the lobby of the old Peabody Hotel about which author William Faulkner said: "The Delta begins in the lobby of the Peabody Hotel in Memphis." Board The fabled City Of New Orleans train for the trip to New Orleans and take in a few days in the French Quarter in a room with a courtyard balcony. I think you'll feel that you've been in the Mississippi River culture of a time gone by when you wrap it all up.

Of course you'll need to wait untill May to utilize the outdoor aspects of this trip.

Edited: 12:27 pm, October 29, 2010
Bartlett, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,439 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Paddle boat from Memphis down Mississippi?

I agree with tnhighroad that sounds like a wonderful plan.

The River Park & Museum in Tunica is a nice place to go and you will learn alot about the Mississippi River and history and you could ride The Tunica Queen and even have dinner on it.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
8,784 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paddle boat from Memphis down Mississippi?

Mud Island is great, but it is only open seasonally; from about April to October. I believe the riverpark in Tunica is open year round.

7. Re: Paddle boat from Memphis down Mississippi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 28, 2011