We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelers should read commercialappeal.com forums, see...

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
germantown
Level Contributor
147 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Travelers should read commercialappeal.com forums, see...

If travelers want to get a flavour for the local thought and affectation of the refugee situation, I recommnd this site ...you'll have to do a no cast sign up but no big deal.......pay particular attention to the "Opinion" forum.

Pretty revealing attitudes. I think this is the same publication that a TripAdvisor local expert works for ?

Very very revealing stuff...sad, but revealing

Memphis
Level Contributor
675 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelers should read commercialappeal.com forums, see...

I don't work there, never worked there and never said I worked there. Yes I am a journalist, but no I do not write for the Commercial Appeal. I read it daily, along with four other daily publications. I have not read the forum so I have no opinion about it.

I encourage people to look at all resources when making a decision. I will personally give a trip report for my weekend I wll be spending in Memphis with some out of town guests next week.

I hope all those who end up visiting Memphis enjoy it. For those who don't, that's OK too.

Vleuten, The...
Level Contributor
273 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelers should read commercialappeal.com forums, see...

lawied: are you staying memphis this weekend or next ?

i will arrive 13 or 14 sept in memphis

Memphis
Level Contributor
675 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelers should read commercialappeal.com forums, see...

Actually, I live here so I'm always in Memphis. I will be spending the weekend in Memphis starting tomorrow. I have guests in town that we will be taking into the city to go to the civil rights musuem, a redbirds game, Beale Street, the Labor Day music festival and who knows what else.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelers should read commercialappeal.com forums, see...

Lawied - we're feeling slightly guilty because we'll be staying in a downtown Memphis hotel tomorrow night. Should we relinquish our room to a family from the Gulf coast who needs a safe haven?

Are all the rooms in Memphis full?

germantown
Level Contributor
147 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelers should read commercialappeal.com forums, see...

Somebody from "Arkansas" can always "visit" Memphis...heck it's right next door across the river !

Rooms are very tight in Memphis...that's a fact

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelers should read commercialappeal.com forums, see...

Well, we DID spend last night in Memphis and had a nice evening. The hotel where we stayed (Marriott Residence Inn) was not fully booked when we arrived, so we didn't feel guilty about taking up space that would be needed by a family displaced by Katrina. I've been meaning to mention a restaurant a couple of doors down from the hotel (LoLo's) where we've eaten several times and enjoyed. We ate there again last night and it was particularly good.

St. John
Level Contributor
569 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelers should read commercialappeal.com forums, see...

Glad to hear you had a great trip - the weather was awesome, wasn't it?? Will have to try that restaurant. :-)

Memphis
Level Contributor
675 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelers should read commercialappeal.com forums, see...

I'm sorry I didn't answer your question. This is the first time I've been online since Friday. i would have said stay. Right now I'm not sure how the hotels are looking. I do know that only a few of the shelters are full. I have read of people looking for apartments to rent.