We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to Oxford, MS?

south carolina
10 posts
Save Topic
Transportation to Oxford, MS?

We are planning on staying in Memphis for the SC-Ole Miss game. Does anyone know of any type of transportation on gamedays to and from Oxford? Or are we just stuck driving it? Thanks.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation to Oxford, MS?

I have never heard of anything. Everyone drives, it's not too far, but far enough that they probably don't have a lot of shuttles (small 2-lane roads). Maybe an hour away to get to the area, plus sitting in traffic once you get to Oxford :) Tons of people from the Memphis area travel down there for it. I would suggest just going early and beating the brunt of the traffic.

south carolina
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation to Oxford, MS?

Thanks Bob. Another question....what area is the closest stay to Beale St without the Beale St hotel prices?

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation to Oxford, MS?

Unfortunately, there isn't much in between downtown and about 15 miles away in east Memphis or the suburbs.

There is a Holiday Inn on the U of Memphis campus, about a 15 minute drive from downtown. It is on Central Ave, near Highland. Nice hotel.

There are a couple hotels in the medical district, about a 5 minute drive from downtown. Not the best, but if all you need is a bed, they might be okay. One is a Holiday Inn on Union, and right behind it is the Gen X Inn on Madison. The area is a little sketchy - due to the hospitals and the inner city area, you'll see a lot of homeless and iffy looking people. But it's not unsafe. It's right next to the interstate, and Union is extremely busy, so lots of traffic (nothing nice to look at).

There are a few motels near downtown, but they are the type of places you'll see people "working" out of.

Downtown, the Sleep Inn is probably the cheapest. There is the Benchmark Inn, which is extrmely cheap and across the street from the Peabody, however it gets HORRIBLE reviews. I wouldn't step foot in it.

south carolina
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation to Oxford, MS?

Is there an area to the south that might also make for easier access to and from Oxford? Maybe aroung the I-55 interchange or hwy 78? What would their proximity to downtown be as far as cab fare?

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,029 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation to Oxford, MS?

I don't know what the cab fare would be (a guess would be $30 - 40 each way), but there are plenty of hotels at I55 and Goodman Road, in the Southaven or Horn Lake, MS area. Lots of chains like Drury Inn, Holiday Inn, etc. have hotels in that area.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation to Oxford, MS?

I wouldn't stay anywhere off of 78 (Lamar Ave) in Memphis, it's a horrible area. But yes, if you go to Southaven, MS they have tons of hotels along the interestate. It's about a 15-20 minute drive, so I would say a cab would run about $40 with tip. However, you'd have to inquire about cabs crossing state lines like that - I know some cab companies are not allowed to go into other states.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation to Oxford, MS?

Also - not sure what you meant about "I-55 interchange." Memphis is unfortunately a pretty unsafe town overall, so the only safe areas for hotels would be downtown, east Memphis and the eastern suburbs, or hotels down in Mississippi like Southhaven. However, none of those are close to Beale Street (outside of downtown).

The amount of money you are looking at paying for cabs back and forth, you might as well just pay more to stay downtown.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,029 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation to Oxford, MS?

I should have said that there are some hotels off of Hwy. 78 and Goodman Road, in the Olive Branch, MS area that are in a nice area as well. Its mostly the same mid-priced chains. However, this would be even further from downtown than the I55- Goodman Road area of Southaven and Horn Lake. I guess some of this might depend on what route you are taking to Oxford. Most here would go down I55 I believe. I haven't been down that way myself in several years.

You just have to figure out what would be less expensive and better for you. Downtown is more convenient to tourist attractions, Beale Street, etc. But, downtown hotels are more expensive and most charge to park your car. It depends on what you plan to do while you're here.

south carolina
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation to Oxford, MS?

Thanks for the help guys. I may just see what I can find downtown. Is there any nightlife near the other "decent hotel areas"? We will do no tourist stuff, as Saturday is our only day and it will be spent in oxford. We just want to have something to do on Friday and Saturday nights. Thanks.

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation to Oxford, MS?

Not much to do in the suburbs in terms of night-life. There are the regular restaurant/bars (like Chili's) and some bars here and there, but nothing that is a "destination" so to speak. Memphis is pretty spread out, so everyone drives everywhere. Downtown is the only area where you can walk to place, and it has many restaurants and bars all together in a bunch so you can do several things in one night. Midtown has a couple areas like that, such as the Cooper Young area, however no hotels nearby.