We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a Nice GROCERY downtown??

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
germantown
Level Contributor
147 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a Nice GROCERY downtown??

Is there a full service on around close??

Memphis
Level Contributor
675 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a Nice GROCERY downtown??

There are mini markets, like Miss Cordelia's in Harbor Town, but there is not a full service supermarket, yet. I say yet because I know there are a few grocers watching the population in downtown. It has not reached the point they need it to be before opening one, but there will be one in the future as long as downtown continues to grow at the strong pace it is right now.

germantown
Level Contributor
147 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a Nice GROCERY downtown??

If there is no full service grocery store like a Publix, Albertson's, Kroger in expensive and safe , growing downtown, where do all these allegedly well-heeled residents SHOP for food???

Odd stuff...but once again, Memphis seems a bit behind the curve

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there a Nice GROCERY downtown??

There is a Schunucks, Kroger, and Piggly Wiggly within a 5 minute drive from downtown in the midtown area. Most "downtown" areas I've lived in tend to not have huge grocery stores in them taking up valuable real estate space and congesting traffic. Usually you have a drive a few miles to get to one, just like anywhere else in the city.

not here
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a Nice GROCERY downtown??

I have to agree with the previous poster - large grocery stores are hard to find in any large city's downtown areas. It's because the real estate is too expensive, for a business that is almost always located in a single-story/ground-level building.

Most real estate developers want multi-story buildings, to get the most income out of the property when building in downtown districts. Grocery stores operate on a 1% profit-margin at best, and if they had to pay for prime real-estate locations their profit margins would be invisible or even negative numbers.

germantown
Level Contributor
147 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a Nice GROCERY downtown??

There are numerous examples of even smaller cities building very nice full service and specialty grocery stores in the business district and/or on execptionally expensive property.....one example comes to mind in LaJolla, and another is a very large Publix being built on practically a BAY front (water) piece of property within a stone's throw of (if that much) of residential property (from 200k to 20mm), a boat launch, two pedestrian parks, and a city auditorium....there's another I think called Morton's Market as well...

So clearly my inquiry and statement was not "hairbrained".

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a Nice GROCERY downtown??

I think LaJolla would be more the exception and not the rule. Besides, it's technically not a city so much as a San Diego suburb that's grown up. In older and larger cities with more condensed downtowns like Philadelphia, New York, Boston, DC, San Fran and apparently Memphis, there is simply not the open space to work with. Perhaps in Vegas, Phoenix, Houston, LA and other sprawled-out cities, that could work.

Just for the record, my lady friend and I are looking forward to going on a "Southern music tour" in the next several months. Memphis will be our second stop in between Nashville and New Orleans. Thanks to everyone here for sharing their opinions!

Memphis
Level Contributor
675 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a Nice GROCERY downtown??

tony5969,

I hope you enjoy your trip. You will find three different cities and three different kinds of music in Nashville, Memphis and New Orleans. I personally think New Orleans is the most beautiful city for architecture I've seen in this country (only behind Venice out of all the cities I've seen).

You will find a lot of blues in downtown Memphis, but some of it is commercialized. You can find some great places throughout Memphis for live music. I recommend checking two places:

www.pollstar.com and www.memphisflyer.com. the Memphis Flyer is the weekly alternative newspaper here that lists all the entertainment going ons. It can give you a good idea of what clubs, particularly in Midtown, you can go to hear some great music.

One great place in Downtown to hear good music is the Lounge inside the Gibson Guitar Factory.

Depending on when you come you can find some very random artists performing. And of course plenty of blues in Downtown on Beale.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a Nice GROCERY downtown??

Thanks a lot, lawied13! While I do want to be able to say I experience Beale Street, it would be great to check out some places that locals enjoy. I'll keep those links in mind as plans become more concrete. In the meantime, I'll keep on picking up ideas from here!

germantown
Level Contributor
147 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a Nice GROCERY downtown??

Hmmm for the record the small city of Sarasota, FL (definitely NOT a suburb) has the following full service groceries in the business distirct):

WHOLE FOODS...smack downtown..offers not only a full grocery , but has a fresh fish market, has a gourmet lunch buffet including about 4 varieties of fresh soup daily, and will prepare your entire meal..

MORTON"S MARKET...smack across the street from the largest medical facility, dense medical offices, and single family homes. It's a full service grocery, and butcher.

PUBLIX SUPERMARKET...superstore being built on some of the highest priced real estate overlooking th Bay, across the street form the theatre, an Auditorium, and the world kown Van Wezel hall for performing arts...

There are MANY more examples of cities that have "downtown", or business district supermarkets.

ENJOY!

Madeira Beach...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there a Nice GROCERY downtown??

The only decent grocery store anywhere near downtown is in midtown on Union Ave.--Schnuck`s. It used to be Seessel`s, which was a locally owned grocery store that also carried lots of specialty items and was great. It still is a great place to shop. Not too far from downtown, either. The Kroger store someone else mentioned...if thats the one I`m thinking of on Poplar ave. downtown, thats NOT a place to even think about going to. That place is dangerous and has been robbed in broad daylight. Thats not a safe place to shop. That part of Poplar downtown has much to be desired. I agree that Memphis is behind in a lot of things, including this subject. Even small cities have grocery stores convenient and close by downtown.