We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What To Do??

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What To Do??

If you had one day to spend in Memphis, what would you do?

I will be there the 16th of July. Thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: What To Do??

Graceland to the Peabody is trivial. Elvis Presley Blvd. back to I-55, I-55 North to the last exit before the bridge over the Mississippi (it's actually harder to stay on I-55 than to get off here -- if you just keep going without getting on any of the ramps, you're fine), and then up Riverside Drive to Union Avenue. Turn right on Union, and the Peabody is between 2nd and 3rd on your right.

Memphis
Level Contributor
675 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: What To Do??

Rackensack is correct. Just adding more details.

When you go north on I-55 once you get on it from EP Blvd. you will have to in a way exit off I-55 to continue on I-55. If you just stay straight it turns into I-240 north, which isn't a bad thing either.

Just look at a map, maybe go to Mapquest.com and print directions. But you will continue on I-55 for about 10 minutes. After circling through ugly industrial scenry you will get to a point where it says to exit for I-55 to St. Louis. This will be a one-lane exit on the right and it will probably be backed up. Ignore that and just stay straight. the road will turn into Riverside Drive. You will suddenly see the river in front of you where you will go down the bluff and drive along the river. The first red light is Beale Street. If you are going to the Peabody I would continue through the light at Beale and go down to Union Avenue light. Turn right and go up the bluff. You will pass through Front Street, Main Street and then the next street is second where the Peabody will be in front of you. Turn right on Second. You will then see the parking garage for Peabody Hotel on your left.

I'm not sure how much they charge. There is a chance one of the other Peabody Place parking garages might be cheaper. You should be able to find rates on the website www.downtownmemphis.com because they are city run. Turn left on Peabody Place and there will be a garage on your right or go through the light at third street and there will be a garage on the left, just past Hooter's restaurant.

Or when on second and you reach the light at Peabody Place turn right and there will be a garage on your right, just past the Flying Saucer. There is also a surface lot on your left, just past Main Street. If you want to try to avoid paying the meters on the streets don't charge past 6 p.m. during the week and are free on Saturday and Sunday. When they are charging it is a quarter for 30 minutes.

Now back to the I-55/I-240 confusion. If you miss taking I-55 and you find yourself on I-240 north then take it until you see the exit for Union Avenue. Get off and take Union Avenue west. You will go a few miles through the medical district, past Sun Studios and then when you see the ballpark on your right at Third Street you should see Peabody Hotel on your left. Go up to second street and take a left (south) to the same parking garages.