We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions Needed

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
86 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Opinions Needed

We will be arriving in Memphis Friday night for a stay through Monday morning. This is what I've planned so far.

Saturday Day: we want to visit the zoo (we're zoo freaks.) If we don't see enough and time permits, we thought we'd visit the Botanic Gardens.

Saturday Night: I thought about B.B. Kings for dinner (do we need Reservations?) We'd love to hear some great music and have a great meal. If this is not the right place, we want to be on Beale Street where we can have a really good meal, cocktails, and great live music. Please . . . . somewhat romantic w/o young 21 year olds running around!

Sunday Day: We thought we make a day out of Graceland and catch the fireworks at Tom Lee Park?

Dinner: Something close and good and casual??? Any suggestions $20 $50??

Monday: I'm wondering if it is possible to drive (AM) to Shiloh to see the Park then leave (Drive) for Chicago for a late arrival??

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!!

germantown
Level Contributor
147 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions Needed

You've got me....for food that is "good", "close" and "causual" in DT Memphis???????....hmmmmm

All I know is BB King's is horrible, so is Pat OSuliivan's....maybe Automatic Slim's Tonga Club....maybe......just avoid that crap served at a BBQ joint named The Rendezvous.....maybe you should try Texas de Brazil.....I've had a LOT worse all around MammFiss....hell, I'd stay on Lakeshore Blvd area, see better entertainment and a helluva lot better food in and around the near north maybe.........I mean it's not worth the drive I don't think...the weather and goings on in Madison and the weather should be less humid and disgusting too...nice little clean university town !

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions Needed

I don't really understand someone who appears to live in the area that in post after post puts the place down. Now I see you encouraging them to stay home. Personally I think Memphis has a lot to offer- much more than Nashville and some of the other big cities in the south. I will however defend you on the "no good food downtown" comment.

Itch- Your plan sounds reasonable. Just don't expect too much out of Graceland or the area it is in. You can catch some great music on Beale but you have to be willing to roam from club to club to find what you like. My biggest problem is they play it so loud for such small places. You might also want to grab a horse carriage ride around downtown late in the evening. The Memphis zoo is excellent. You might also consider the Pink Palace museum, the National Ornamental Metals Museum, Mud Island and the Memphis Belle. If your interested in gambling Tunica is only a short drive south. Shiloh is a great Civil War park. For more info check out the Memphis visitors web page at http://www.memphistravel.com/

3. Re: Opinions Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:39 pm, July 02, 2005
Oxford, Mississpi
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions Needed

I just moved to the South of Memphis. I drive to Memphis a lot for Dentist appointments and other random errands. We also went to the Liberty Land Amusement Park there 2 weeks ago. (Big Disappointment)

As far as I can tell from driving around that town and from what I see on the news... Memphis is an ugly, dirty, crowded, crime ridden city with very little to recommend it.

If you do visit lock your doors. The last time I was there someone broke into my car and stole my DVD player. And this was is a supposedly "good" part of town.

5. Re: Opinions Needed

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:00 pm, July 19, 2005
6. Re: Opinions Needed

Removed on: 4:00 pm, July 19, 2005
Memphis
Level Contributor
673 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Opinions Needed

Itch,

I hope you enjoyed your trip to Memphis and everything worked out for you. I was out of town for a wedding and this is my first time to visit this site since last Wednesday. Hopefully the heat didn't bother you too bad.

Get answers to your questions about Memphis