We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best BBQ in Memphis

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
650 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Best BBQ in Memphis

Now that im booked for my stay in Memphis im wondering where to find the best BBQ? We have tried BBQ in Texas, St. Louis, Kansas City and SC and would love to know what your fav place is? Specifically any places that have the best brisket. Thanks again, I appreciate all the local feedback helping me plan my trip.

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Texas
Texas
United States
8 replies to this topic
Wynne, Arkansas
Level Contributor
58 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best BBQ in Memphis

Not a big Brisket fan but in my opinion the best BBQ places are in the order....

1. Germantown Commisary

2. Central BBQ

3. One and Only

Also, you should go to the Rendezvous for sheer atmosphere if nothing else. The Rendezvous can be a bit inconsistent but it’s the inventor of the Memphis “style” and the waiters there are awesome.

Mentioned in this post
Germantown
Germantown
Tennessee
Central BBQ
Central BBQ
3,355 Reviews
Memphis, TN
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best BBQ in Memphis

Barbecue pork is what Memphis is known for and some places don't even have brisket on the menu. Rendezvous ribs are my favorites in the entire city, but not everyone likes them as they feature a dry rub. I agree that its the most unique place in Memphis and always a favorite.

I also like Tops (multiple area locations) and some like the Barbecue Shop.

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
166 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best BBQ in Memphis

Rendevous is more of a grilled rib and not authentic BBQ--slow and low on indirect wood heat.

I recommend Central BBQ near the Liberty Bowl Stadium on Central Avenue. Look for the crazy pig mural on the wall.

Mentioned in this post
Central BBQ
Central BBQ
3,355 Reviews
Memphis, TN
Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best BBQ in Memphis

HPfrom TN is correct that Rendezvous is not Memphis Style Barbecue, nor did it originate Memphis style, since Memphis competition style pork BBQ is primarily slow smoked, wet sauced fare. Central BBQ offers good examples of good Memphis type smoked pork as does Corky's, Germantown Commisary, One and Only, and Interstate. The suggestion that you visit Rendezvous while you are there is a good one if you have time to do that after your first BBQ meal, then you can compare yourself. It does have a unique underground atmosphere ith memorabilia all over the walls and fun waiters with which you can banter.

Mentioned in this post
Memphis
Memphis
Tennessee
Central BBQ
Central BBQ
3,355 Reviews
Memphis, TN
Germantown
Germantown
Tennessee
Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best BBQ in Memphis

I'm a big fan of Bar-B-Q Shop. To reiterate, brisket is not what is highlighted here, so it will not necessarily be the best thing a restaurant has on its menu. Not exactly barbecue, but the smoked brisket at Loflin Yard is very good indeed.

Mentioned in this post
The Bar-B-Q Shop
The Bar-B-Q Shop
438 Reviews
Memphis, TN
Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best BBQ in Memphis

WhIle not a barbecue restaurant, you might want to check out this place if you're a brisket fan. Not that brisket is available each day until they sell out. You'll need a car or a long taxi or ride share company ride to get there.

https://wolfriverbrisket.com/

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best BBQ in Memphis

One n Only or Central Barbque

2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best BBQ in Memphis

Cozy Corner is a nice little neighborhood BBQ diner. They are really affordable. I had the sliced beef and BBQ bologna. Beef had a great smoked flavor, not too heavy. Bologna sandwich is kinda like a BBQ hot dog sandwich.

Mentioned in this post
Cozy Corner
Cozy Corner
362 Reviews
Memphis, TN
Reply to: Best BBQ in Memphis
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Memphis
;