We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stax or Civil RIghts Museum

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orange County, CA...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Stax or Civil RIghts Museum

My time is Memphis is short so I have to be selective in chosing activities. We are going to the Rock & Soul Museum, Graceland and Sun Studios. We have time for one more tour. Should it be Stax or Civil Rights?

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stax or Civil RIghts Museum

Hands down, Civil Rights. It's one of the best aspects of Memphis (the museum) and is absolutely moving. It is educational and represents so many important things in our country. Stax is a record studio, and it's not in the best area of town. There's really no comparison, unless you are solely wanting to visit something music oriented. CRM takes about 1/2 a day, so does Graceland (at least) and Rock & Soul. Sun Studios is a lot shorter.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
101 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stax or Civil RIghts Museum

Having visited both museums I would choose Stax. Although the Civil Rights Museum is outstanding, we like Stax better as we are huge music buffs. Having travelled the country visiting music museums this is one of the very best. Personally, I would visit both Stax and the Civil Rights and skip the Rock and Soul Museum. Although it too is a good museum it isn't quite as touching or facinating as Stax and Civil Rights. It's a great dilema to have in a great city :)

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stax or Civil RIghts Museum

I'd skip Sun, if it was me. It really depends on what you're looking for. Music, or just a good museum. Sun is tiny, and the tour is about 45 min max, from what I've heard lately. The others are more self paced and you could walk around for hours and hours looking at things.

I am guessing you will be here 2 full days, so you are looking for 4 tours, AM/PM each day? You could probably pack in Rock & Soul, Civil Rights, and Sun all in one day, given the proximity. Also note that Sun is timed, they only offer tours at certain times each day. The rest are just "show up when you want" deals. (not sure on Stax though.)

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
312 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stax or Civil RIghts Museum

Sun Studios is a great tour. I am not saying it is better than going to the Civil Rights Museum, but it is a great tour. Lots of things to do with where Elvis and many others got started. If you can fit it in, you really wont be sorry

5. Re: Stax or Civil RIghts Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, August 28, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Memphis