We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Memphis

Ohio
4 posts
Save Topic
Safety in Memphis

I will be traveling to Memphis with my two children. Will we be safe staying at the Holiday Inn Express on American Way?

Olive Branch, MS
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Memphis

It's not in a good part of town. Very high crime area. If you decide to stay there, do NOT venture out at night. If it were me, I'd try a different area. Are you just passing through? Or is this in an area convenient to your stay?

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Memphis

Correct, that's not a safe area of town. Especially if you have 2 kids with you, I wouldn't risk it. If you are in town for vacation, there are much better places to stay depending on your needs. If you are just in town for an evening passing though, there are also much better places on the outskirts of the city for you to stay at.

Ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Memphis

Thank you. A friend recommended staying off of Sycamore. The girls and i want to visit Beale Street, Graceland, and the zoo. We dont mind the drive. We will only be in town for 3 days. Is Sycamore better?

Memphis
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Memphis

Eh, it's a little better, but you'd be so far away from everything. And in the middle of some of the worst traffic in Memphis. If you want to see downtown and Beale, I'd say stay downtown. You'd be able to walk places with your kids, to eat, to see the ducks, or whatever it is they want to do there. The zoo is a few miles down the road, a short drive. Graceland is a bit further, to the south, in a bad area of town. I wouldn't recommend staying there.

If you don't want to stay downtown, there is a Holiday Inn on the UM campus, a great neighborhood and would be very quiet. It's further east, so you'd have to backtrack to get to the zoo and downtown, but maybe that is more your speed than a hotel downtown.

There is a Holiday Inn downtown, if for some reason you are particular to that chain.

Olive Branch, MS
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Memphis

One other option; Southaven, or Olive Branch Mississippi has some good hotels and are in a safer place than the Sycamore View area (and they're really no further away than Sycamore View).

Just a thought.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
283 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Memphis

We are traveling to Memphis and have decided to stay at the Fairfield Inn & suites at 8489 Highway 64. We are driving from Nashville and it only about 25 miles from Graceland. The hotel had good reviews on Trip Advisor and a good rate. You might want to check it out.

OhioTrav

7. Re: Safety in Memphis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, August 28, 2009