We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Memphis

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Topic
Shopping in Memphis

Are there any specific areas in or near downtown for local shops/boutiques. We're not looking for malls or chain stores.

Thanks, Evan

The Peanut Shoppe
Gift & Specialty Shops
The Broom Closet
Gift & Specialty Shops
A. Schwab
Gift & Specialty Shops
5 replies to this topic
Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,400 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Memphis

Shopping downtown isn't great. Schwabs on Beale is a lot of fun. Other ideas would be South Main (art galleries and other interesting shops) and Lanskys in the Peabody lobby. If you have transportation, there are a few interesting shops in Cooper Young and Overton Square.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Memphis

Thanks Deb, yes we will have a car and will check out your suggestions. My fiancee can spend an hour in 1 shop if she likes it and gives me time to have a couple beers.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
9,400 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Memphis

You're so welcome. Enjoy those beers. I'd rather have the couple of beers than shop myself.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Memphis

Shopping in Memphis is not that outstanding at all. In fact it's surprisingly inferior to many other SE cities. Yes it has the usual mall sort of junk such as in Cordova, but Memphis is not Dallas or Atlanta by a long shot.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Memphis

Broad Avenue Arts District has lots of interesting shops, including State and Main for handmade gifts along with good coffee and pastries. Downtown is the South Main Arts District which has a number of galleries and boutiques. In East Memphis, visit Laurelwood, an outdoor mall with many local shops including Novel for books, Dinstuhl's for chocolate, and assorted clothing and jewelry stores. In Collierville, there is an the enormous Sheffield Antiques Market. Also don't miss Burke's books in Cooper Young and a number of other boutiques nearby.

Reply to: Shopping in Memphis
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted