We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Graceland was in the ghetto.....

KeNtUcKy
8 posts
Graceland was in the ghetto.....

I was really hyped up about my hero elvis and his home graceland. Man what a let down...I know it was built many years ago...but gesh, it was DoWnToWn...4 real. I thought this estate would just boast great places all around it...Nope. It was just a big house where my hero elvis lived, and what looked to be low to middle class income homes surrounding it. It was just not what I thought.

Gretch

Memphis
1 post
1. Re: Graceland was in the ghetto.....

Sorry you were disappointed Gretchen but unfortunately Elvis Presley Enterprises doesn't prepare it's customers for the shock of the neighborhood's deterioration. Those having been born and raised in Memphis take it for granted, and don't frequent that area much. It would be great if the City of Memphis took a greater interest in revitalizing that area but no-one should hold their breath.Lorie in Memphis

concord nc
1 post
2. Re: Graceland was in the ghetto.....

hey there Lorie! I dont know your age, but if you remember when Elvis was alive, Whitehaven was one of the best parts of town wasnt it? I have been to Graceland 10 times, the last in 2001, and its very sad the neighborhood is like it is now! Does anyone in Memphis care about the legacy Elvis left behind, and that the area should be more inviting? How often are serious crimes reported in that area? I was just wondering since you are a Memphis resident? RP from NC

Memphis, TN
1 post
3. Re: Graceland was in the ghetto.....

No one cares about Elvis' legacy! All he did was steal his style of dancing and singing from the poor Black people in the area. Why aren't the people who make all the money from Graceland helping the area. Why aren't they giving back to the neighborhood and the schools. If you want to be upset with anyone be upset with them.

Chickasha,OK
1 post
4. Re: Graceland was in the ghetto.....

Elvis is my hero to when i was growing up and i always wanted to go to graceland and when i finaly got the chance i was so heart broken it looked so much bigger and better on tv but its just so small and not as pretty as i thought but who cares i still love him and always will... thanx crystal from oklahoma

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Graceland was in the ghetto.....

I live in England and had waited 25 years to get to Memphis & Graceland. We have been twice and never once felt unsafe. Of course the area is a little run down, but hey, check out England.It is not all Buckingham palace and the royals.England has it's fair share as well.Go to Liverpool, where the beatles came from, it has a lot of run down area's, but people accept it.

Yes, Elvis Presley enterprises should do more for the area, but I doubt that will happen.

But, for all that, Graceland is still the home of Elvis and I for one am grateful to have been.See y'all next year.

Memphis TN
2 posts
6. Re: Graceland was in the ghetto.....

At the time Elvis purchased and lived at Graceland it was considered an upper class neighborhood and a mansion. By today's standards, it is neither. The neighborhood was not as developed and the people who lived there were upper class, and Whitehaven was the "IN" place to live. Memphis folks have concentrated on building up downtown in recent years and unfortunately, Graceland area has suffered. I have been on the tour as part of orientation when "Elvis Presley's Memphis" opened on Beale Street. Having grown up driving past Graceland for so long, I was actually surprised at the size of some of the rooms Elvis added to the back of the house. They used to have the best Christmas lights while Elvis was alive. Unfortunately, the impression is- who can make money off his name?

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
1 post
70 reviews
7. Re: Graceland was in the ghetto.....

I am really disappointed to read that so many people are so disgusted with the area surrounding Graceland. I am a resident of Memphis and have grown up in the Whitehaven area (around Graceland). To those visiting, I have to say that as a Memphian and more importantly a native of Whitehaven, I apologize that your standards were not met when visiting our part of town. Just like any city there are areas that need some work, but do understand that we love our area and we do not think of it as the "ghetto" the way so many viewers have named it. Trust me, I've seen "ghettos." As an older part of town, investors have not realized how much potential the area holds and how they could benefit from revitalizing the area. The ones that they're emphasizing on, will one day look like ours. Its also obvious that your dearly beloved Elvis's company doesn't feel as if they need to contribute to that cause either, because if so they would have done it a long time ago. Tourists keep coming and pouring in the bucks to see Graceland only, so why should they???? They're making their money. Put some heat on them and give us a break. There are alot of middle aged homeowners in Whitehaven who are business owners and top execs who love the area so much that they didn't choose to leave. Sit down at Picadilly Cafeteria and eat while you're hear next time. Go a little further south down Elvis Presley Boulevard and see the nice homes in the area and some of the newer subdivisions that are being built. So give us a break and stop blasting us on these websites....

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Graceland was in the ghetto.....

It's me from England again.I am sorry if any of my comments offend anyone, believe me, I would rather be there in Memphis than over here in England.Although I am an Elvis fan, me and my wife(who is not an Elvis fan) don't just go to Graceland and the plaza, we like to get in the neighbourhoods the tourists don't want to see.Of course we have to be careful where we go, but the same applies over here.We find the local regular folks some of the kindest people we could wish to meet.Everytime we go in a store or restaurant, soon as people here our accents, they come and talk to us!.We drove to Tunica last vacation and went down 51 south, the house's and area's down there were wonderful.

Elvis would be very upset if he were alive today about what has gone on with the whole estate.Yes, EPE should put some money into the area, but now even Lisa Maria has all but sold out, so what chance now?.

My final words are that Memphis and the area's around Graceland are no better or worse than anywhere else, the important thing is the people, you should be proud of your southern heritage.In april, we are back in Memphis for the 3rd time, this time, we will have our daughter with us, she is 21 and is not an Elvis fan, but she will be shown everything that is important to me.

Kevin Riley

Butler, GA
1 post
9. Re: Graceland was in the ghetto.....

I have just returned from my first trip to Memphis. I have always enjoyed Elvis and admired what he has done with his life and the difference that he made in music. I have always heard that Graceland was tacky. What is tacky to some may be classy to someone else. We have to remember that when Graceland was purchased it was considered one of the finest homes in the area. Compared to where Elvis first lived in Memphis, Graceland even today, is a great accomplishment. Lauderdale courts where he fist lived with his parents was no doubt "In the Ghetto". But they have cleaned up that area. It is much nicer now than it was then. But sadly enough as with any other place, people turn their attention to other areas and start neglecting others, no matter how important they are. I took my trip with a couple of other people that has been to Memphis many times over several years. They have witnessed the changes being made around the city. They have said that they can see where the city of Memphis is trying to "clean up" things. Hopefully they will recognize Graceland for what it is worth to their city and they will also get around to that area. For now, people have to realize that sometimes even the greatest of all things get neglected. Be patient. Go back in a year or two with a more open mind to how things are in the real world and I believe that you will have a much better time and appreciation for what is there. It isn't all about how fancy something is supposed to be, but there is history there.

Germantown...
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: Graceland was in the ghetto.....

I live in Memphis and yes its in a bad part of town,but you also have to remember when Elvis was around that was like the very best part of the city,I guess after years things change,All i can say is just be carefull, theres always alot of security there.

Get answers to your questions about Memphis