We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryder cup 2014

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Ryder cup 2014

Hi - please can anyone tell me if Lochearnhead would be a reasonable base to stay for the Ryder Cup event, and what it would be like getting to Gleneagles from there.

Thanks

15 replies to this topic
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,195 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryder cup 2014

Hello,

I assume you mean by car as the public transport would be a bit of a challenge!

It's about 30 miles, on a scenic route, but not the greatest of roads, I'd allow say, an hour each way.

You might want to think about Comrie, Crieff, Auchterarder or even Perth unless you have an overwhelming desire to go to Lochearnhead of course.

Not sure if this helps, but ask away if it doesn't.

Emelda

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryder cup 2014

It answers my query Perth fectly!

Thank you very much

regards

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryder cup 2014

True, Lochearnhead (though a nice wee place) isn't somewhere I'd think of staying in order to watch the Golf :-) Travelling Lochearnhead - Gleneagles cuts cross-country via Crieff, taking maybe 45 minutes. Scenic certainly, but not fast.

Travelling from Crieff would take maybe 20 minutes. There are villages even closer such as Auchterarder which probably have a regular golfing clientele. If you draw a 20-minute circle, you could look at far south as the delightfully named Yetts o' Muckhart near Dollar.

Lochearnhead consists of a couple of hotels, a shop or two, a straggly village of mostly stone-built houses, a water centre which uses Loch Earn. A lot of traffic passes through on its way north. Tourists on Loch Earn usually stay at St Fillans at the other end of the Loch. It's quiet if you're off the A85.

Personally I'd be looking for somewhere a lot nearer.

Edited: 2:35 pm, September 09, 2012
Lochearnhead
Level Contributor
14 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryder cup 2014

Lochearnhead is a fantastic base if you want to see other parts of Scotland as it is so central and very picturesque. Loch Earn is 6.5 miles long and surrounded by towering mountains and forests, Glen ample, Edinample Castle, Stuch A Chroin and national cycle route 7 on the old railway walkway. The September Scots Magazine has just done a 7 page feature on the villages around Loch Earn including the Lochearnhead water sports centre and its resident sea plane flying instructor amongst other personalities. If you are a golfer, St Fillans Golf Club (Sandy Lyles favourite inland course where visitors are made to feel very welcome) is at the east end of Loch Earn. The A85 from Lochearnhead to Crieff via pretty St Fillans and Comrie village is a stunningly beautiful run in the car (20 miles) especially in September when colours are more autumnal. Then Gleneagles is another 9 miles from there. There are many lovely places to stay in Lochearnhead including 2 hotels, luxury cottages with loch gardens, bed and breakfasts, a licensed guest house, lodges and other self catering options with free fishing, boat launches and moorings. Check the Loch Earn Tourism Initiative website www.robroycountry.com for ideas. If being near Gleneagles is paramount then others have made suggestions of closer villages however do not under estimate the beauty of Lochearnhead and St Fillans, their proximity to golf courses, the friendly communities, outdoor activities, water sports, wildlife, private hire tour companies, The Ring of Breadalbane Explorer bus, access to major tourist routes and so much more. Good luck in finding something that matches your requirements.

Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
691 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryder cup 2014

If it's purely the golf you're going for, I'd base myself in either Stirling or Perth and you'll likely also have the option of using special buses if you don't wish to take the car. This would also give you more options in the evening too.

My experience of taking the car to Gleneagles to watch the much smaller event of the Johnnie Walker is not great so I hope they get their act together for the Ryder Cup (surely they will !!?).

Perth, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryder cup 2014

Hi there

Did you guys find somewhere to stay?

Chatham , New Jersey
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryder cup 2014

Any Suggestions as to where to stay ? am a volunteer for the week and travelling from the US

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryder cup 2014

Paul, don't the organisers have any advice specifically for volunteers? Maybe they assume volunteers will be local ...

Manybe another volunteer might voluntarily put you up?

9. Re: Ryder cup 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, August 19, 2013

Chatham , New Jersey
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryder cup 2014

As yet there hasn't been any info , only state that bus services will run from nearest major cities.Thought it would be nice whilst in Scotland to be nearer the course in the country. Thanks Derek for message , volunteers were chosen via lottery , 16k applied.

Reply to: Ryder cup 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lochearnhead
Recent Conversations