We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B & B in Loch Lomond Area

WindwardOahu
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
B & B in Loch Lomond Area

We're flying into Glasgow, picking up a car hire and heading up to Skye. We want to stop off at Loch Lomond along the way for a night before continuing on. We'll be going up A82. Any recommended area to be looking at for a place to stay one night? 4 adults.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
376 Reviews
Stirling, UK
Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: B & B in Loch Lomond Area

You can actually drive the length of Loch Lomond (25 miles) in no time. Balloch to Ardlui (at north end of loch) is only around 35 minutes. ;o)

Mentioned in this post
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
376 Reviews
Stirling, UK
Balloch
Balloch
West Dunbartonshire, UK
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: B & B in Loch Lomond Area

Total journey time, Glasgow Airport to Portree on Skye: just under 5 hours, which is certainly a big drive straight off a plane.

Time to get to Luss or Balloch: 40 minutes. Which is probably early for an evening meal.

Another hour north (just under 2 hrs total?) and you hit places like Glencoe, right in the middle of spectacular mountains, with the Clachaig Inn to stop at. Not 5* but has character. Used by climbers a lot. But no comparison with places like Cameron House on loch Lomond ...

Beyond that you have Fort WIlliam which I recommend a lot less.

An alternative route to Skye: rather than taking the A87 to Kyle, take the A830 to Mallaig, and the ferry to Skye, because of Glenfinnan monument and viaduct, and the beaches at Arisaig and Morar. Little difference in driving time, but a short wait for the ferry.

A lot depends on what time of year you're driving; If you mentioned that I may have missed it. Right now it's dark after 6 pm. By late June that'll be 11 pm :-)

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Portree
Portree
Isle of Skye, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Luss
Luss
Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, UK
Balloch
Balloch
West Dunbartonshire, UK
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Clachaig Inn
Clachaig Inn
875 Reviews
Ballachulish, UK
Cameron House on Loch Lomond
Cameron House on Loch...
6,182 Reviews
Alexandria, UK
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Glenfinnan Monument
Glenfinnan Monument
601 Reviews
Glenfinnan, UK
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: B & B in Loch Lomond Area

With a stop overnight, you can still be in Skye by lunchtime. That's more a cub than a bear :-)

Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
WindwardOahu
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: B & B in Loch Lomond Area

I was thinking of taking the slower route to Skye via the ferry at Mallaig. ( I wish someone else would drive so I could take the Jacobite Train). We're gonna be there early September. I didn't realize the Loch Lomond drive was so short. We will be tired from flying all the way from Dallas on a red-eye so I didn't want to get too far on the road out of Glasgow. I also wanted to cut a bit of drive time off of the trip to Skye on the following day. We'll probably take our time and stop at Glencoe for lunch and get to Skye later on in the afternoon.

Now I'm entertaining thoughts of Tarbet, Arrochar on Loch Long, or Inverbeg or Aldochlay for a play to stay the night of our arrival..

Edited: 7:33 pm, February 13, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
376 Reviews
Stirling, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Glencoe
Glencoe
Scottish Highlands, UK
Tarbet
Tarbet
Arrochar
Arrochar
Loch Long Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
615 Reviews
Arrochar, UK
WindwardOahu
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: B & B in Loch Lomond Area

No, I'm not going to a play. I meant place to stay. Sorry.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: B & B in Loch Lomond Area

Aldochlay, (pronounced aldoch-lie) is a tiny hamlet about a mile south of Luss. It is very beautiful with a couple of the nicest little cottages in the UK (IMO) but it has no services. Having said that, there are a couple of hotels in Luss so it could be a good choice.

It depends on what you want to do with your spare time at this overnight stay. Do you want to eat out and visit a pub or something or are you happy to stay by your chosen accommodation?

Mentioned in this post
Luss
Luss
WindwardOahu
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: B & B in Loch Lomond Area

After the long flight we're probably gonna be tired and not wanting to hit a pub yet. We'll probably sit around and dream of the road ahead and turn in early. As of this posting I'm now leaning toward Arrochar on Loch Long. It's not far out of the way and a bit further up the shore.

Mentioned in this post
Arrochar
Arrochar
Loch Long Hotel
Loch Long Hotel
615 Reviews
Arrochar, UK
Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: B & B in Loch Lomond Area

Arrochar is a nice little place but Loch Lomond is much nicer, particularly the southern end with its islands and mountains. Luss would be a much nicer place to stop. There are two nice hotels there but both of them are quite expensive if you are on a budget.

Note: Watch out for the accommodation booking engines, which show some places as being a couple of miles from Luss but fail to recognise that they are on the other side of Loch Lomond and perhaps as much as 20 miles away by road.

If you need any further advice feel free to ask.

Mentioned in this post
Arrochar
Arrochar
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
376 Reviews
Stirling, UK
Luss
Luss
Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: B & B in Loch Lomond Area

Arrochar is a nice little place but Loch Lomond is much nicer, particularly the southern end with its islands and mountains. Luss would be a much nicer place to stop. There are two nice hotels there but both of them are quite expensive if you are on a budget.

Note: Watch out for the accommodation booking engines, which show some places as being a couple of miles from Luss but fail to recognise that they are on the other side of Loch Lomond and perhaps as much as 20 miles away by road.

If you need any further advice feel free to ask.

Mentioned in this post
Arrochar
Arrochar
Loch Lomond
Loch Lomond
376 Reviews
Stirling, UK
Luss
Luss
Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: B & B in Loch Lomond Area

How did it go?

Get answers to your questions about Loch Lomond and The...