We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luss or Balloch?

London
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Luss or Balloch?

I am thinking of staying either at Luss or Balloch for a night in June to explore the Loch Lomond area. Which of these places would you recommend (or is there some other possibility)? I am looking for a picturesque place with decent accommodation. Thanks!

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
9,890 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luss or Balloch?

Luss is more picturesque as it is Lochside as opposed to Balloch which is not, being located on the River Leven about a half mile from the actual Loch.

In saying that though Luss is a Conservation Village and has few facilities whereas Balloch is a town with plenty of hotels, bars and restuarants.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luss or Balloch?

I may be nit picking but it's perhaps a wee bit unfair to say that Balloch is not Lochside as the country park and Loch Lomond shores are both in Balloch and both are right on the Loch. It may be fairer to say that not all of Balloch is on the Lochside but then neither is all of Luss. ;o)

Luss is very picturesque but it's only about ten minutes drive from Balloch so you would probably be visiting it anyway. As Madscotsman says there is a much wider choice of accommodation and eateries in Balloch. Luss only really has some B&Bs plus the Lodge on Loch Lomond, which is nice but expensive. The other hotel in Luss is closed for renovation at the moment and it does not look like it will be opening any time soon.

If staying in a picturesque place is your main priority then Luss has it but Balloch is also quite picturesque.

London
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Luss or Balloch?

Thanks for your comments. I will bear them in mind when making my decision!

4. Re: Luss or Balloch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, October 30, 2012