We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midgies info please

S-O-T, UK
Level Contributor
68 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Midgies info please

We are thinking of renting a cottage for a week in August on Loch Katrine. Can anyone give us some information on the midgie situation in this area and at this time of year please? After watching a recent tv programme where people had to wear full face masks because they were so bad, we are a bit apprehensive! Many thanks.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midgies info please

That's like asking for a weather forecast.

It MAY be good - it may be bad. Pack some Avon Skin-so-soft.

Don't forget, if it was for the midges, Scotland would be overrun with visitors! :-)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,680 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Midgies info please

A midge net can be useful when the midges are really bad - you can get one from an outdoor shop such as Blacks or Milletts. An insect repellent with DEET can help to deal with the little b*gg*rs!

Otherwise, just go for it, and don't let the midges put you off - they come and go as often as the weather changes in Scotland!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Midgies info please

This may help http://www.midgeforecast.co.uk/2008/ but I recommend avon skin so soft which is available in outdoor shops and campsites all around scotland.

S-O-T, UK
Level Contributor
68 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Midgies info please

Thanks so much for that website, I thought it was amazing. Sadly plans have now changed and we are off elsewhere instead but I am very eager to get back to Loch Lomand and surrounding areas soon.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Midgies info please

Take Vitamin B6 or B complex - you will still get bitten but have no reaction. Works well for me and I was always reacting badly.

St. Andrews...
Level Contributor
152 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Midgies info please

Skin-so-Soft really does work.

7. Re: Midgies info please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:27 am, February 21, 2010