We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of car hire on Skye

Which Portree hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of car hire on Skye

We are trying to hire a car on Skye (Portree pickup) for 3 days. One problem is that my partner is a fit, healthy and young 75 year old! Although I am much younger, we prefer it if he drives.

He has driven hire cars in England and in the USA with no problems over his age but we are struggling with this one.

One car hire company can't seem bothered enough to reply to emails or phone calls - I have given up with them.

The others are quoting in the region of £50 per day, which seems high to us although normal for up there. Even for me, it is not much less. However, I can hire a car where I live in England for £20 per day.

Are prices on Skye much higher? or is it Scotland? Or are we missing something?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,143 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of car hire on Skye

There are only 2 or 3 companies renting on Skye. Which one is ignoring you?

I see this one from £90 for three days. http://www.m2-motors.co.uk/car-hire

Is there an issue with his age then? Higher insurance or something?

How are you getting to Skye? Can't you rent in say Glasgow or Inverness and drive there?

There's also http://www.skyecarhire.co.uk/

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of car hire on Skye

If you are arriving via Kyle of Lochalsh, a pickup from there would make more sense than Portree. That's where skycarhire operate from.

Skye companies are locally based, are not national companies such as you'd find elsewhere. A part of your hire might the cost of operating a Portree pickup if their offices are elsewhere.

London, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of car hire on Skye

I am not sure I should say which is not responding.

I have a quote from m2 and it is £150 for my partner or £135 for the younger me. HM car hire was was even higher for me!

The £90 for 3 days seems mythical. Insurance is added on top. This is what I don't understand. Why is the insurance so high?

We are arriving by train to Fort William and wanted to do the bus to Ske so that we can enjoy the scenery en route.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,027 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of car hire on Skye

Can you decline the car hire insurance and use your own ? and / or use the coverage provided by your credit card ( if CC offers it ) ?

Cheers!

Sunny

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,027 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of car hire on Skye

Can you decline the car hire insurance and use your own ? and / or use the coverage provided by your credit card ( if CC offers it ) ?

Cheers!

Sunny

Highlands
Level Contributor
12 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of car hire on Skye

Try jansvans, they are by far the most professional outfit, and are affiliated to a national chain. It is expensive to hire a car here, sorry :(

7. Re: Cost of car hire on Skye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, May 04, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Portree