We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating out- not to miss- not too pricey

New York
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Eating out- not to miss- not too pricey

Can you recommend any places to eat (lunch-dinner) Portree or surrounding area

Could be pricey...but not stuffy!?

Thanks

:)

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,038 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating out- not to miss- not too pricey

Why don't you take a look at Scotland the Best by Peter Irving for your upcoming trip to Scotland? Lots of super ideas:

amazon.com/Scotland-Best-Peter-Irvine/…

In Portree, I would recommend the Harbor View Restaurant. It would not qualify for either (too) pricey or stuffy. We thought it was very good.

For a pricey, but still not stuffy, take a look at The Three Chimneys in Colbost. Exceptional!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,121 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating out- not to miss- not too pricey

I agree with the above. The best places to eat on Skye are not in Portree, or even particularly near.

The Three Chimneys is about 20 miles away, and does seriously excellent food. A different kind of place, but also a good choice, would be the Stein Inn at Stein. It's a really atmospheric old pub in a lovely spot, which is also about 20 miles from Portree. The food is less grand that at the Three Chimneys - and a lot cheaper, of course! Definitely not stuffy!

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
62 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating out- not to miss- not too pricey

In Portree I ate at The Isles Pub, which was very fun and had great seafood specials. (I didn't care for the desserts though) Also Cafe Arriba is very good and quite mellow. Neither place is stuffy at all.

New York
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating out- not to miss- not too pricey

thank you

well noted :)

Alpha Centauri
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating out- not to miss- not too pricey

Harbour View on top of the hill is nice. I liked Creelers in Broadford better. Lady Clair McDonald's Kinloch Lodge was nice also, I had one exceptional meal at The Three Chimneys and one so-so meal. The Stein Inn is also a very long drive (like 3 Chimneys) and you must have a reservation. Bon Appitite! --Sandy

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,121 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating out- not to miss- not too pricey

I have eaten at the Stein Inn and I didn't book. It was about three years ago - maybe you do now?

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating out- not to miss- not too pricey

I would second Cafe Ariba in Portree - not stuffy. good food, great views - not pricey though.

Have had 2 meals in the 3 chimneys - first one v. good and rather better than the second, (which was not by any means bad, just quite expensive and not all that special) so have not rushed back - but may have been unlucky.

Had a super bar meal in the Flodigarry hotel, which made me wonder what the hotel dining is like - although alas we didn't have time that trip to find out.

Kentisbeare, United...
Level Contributor
370 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating out- not to miss- not too pricey

If you like seafood in a scenic location this one in Stein may be perfect -

lochbay-seafood-restaurant.co.uk/aboutus.htm

Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating out- not to miss- not too pricey

Bosville's in Portree serves a nice roast lunch, alternating days with pork or beef. Lochbay seafood in Stein as previously mentioned is a very nice choice. Reservations are needed there as it is a very small restaurant. Next door is the Stein Inn which is a fun stop for a drink or meal. We have eaten there many times and have never needed a reservation. But it can get crowded.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating out- not to miss- not too pricey

Seabreezes down by the harbour in Portree is excellent. We had the early bird menu which was £15 for 2 courses or £18 for 3 courses. The food and service were very, very good. It was friendly too.

While we were there a fisherman brought in fish straight off the boat. Can't be bad eh?

Get answers to your questions about Portree