We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need recommendations on what to see and do in Tobermory...

Tennessee
Level Contributor
98 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Need recommendations on what to see and do in Tobermory...

I am spending 3 days in Tobermory in early August. I would love to have some recommendations on what to do or see in Tobermory and the surrounding area/isles. I have been to Iona and loved it but know nothing else of the area. Any recommendation on dining would help too.

Thanks ever so much!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,907 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need recommendations on what to see and do in Tobermory...

Been to Staffa? You'll be humming Fingal's Cave by Mendelson for months..

I haven't been to Mull for years, but I see it is promoting itself as the place for wildlife - dolphins, whales,sea eagles, etc. Boat trips and bird hides are available.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
98 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need recommendations on what to see and do in Tobermory...

Bird hides? Yikes, I hope you are not talking about bird skins. I am going to assume (yes, I know) that you are talking about breeding/nesting grounds. Please tell me that IS what you mean...LOL

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need recommendations on what to see and do in Tobermory...

Just to reassure you, in the UK a bird hide is a shelter that you hide in to watch birds! Nothing to do with leather.

Certainly agree that you should go to Iona and Staffa (although it's a long drive from Tobermory - Mull is bigger than it looks on the map. Other things to see nearer at hand are Craignure Castle, the Isle of Ulva and a pretty beach and coastal drive at Calgary. You'll see a lot more if you hire a car.

Portland
Level Contributor
213 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need recommendations on what to see and do in Tobermory...

Check out the castles on the island, Castle Duart is kind of obvious. The walk to Castle Moy is a treat in itself.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need recommendations on what to see and do in Tobermory...

You might want to check your local PBS station to see if you can catch a recent Nature episode, The Eagles of Mull. It was wonderful. I visited Mull a number of years ago and did the tour of Staffa and Iona. I also toured the castles and enjoyed the countryside a bit. I did not take a wildlife tour as I was there on 9/11 which disrupted my thinking and plans completely. Having seen this PBS show, I now know that I have to go back and see more. Pam

Tobermory, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need recommendations on what to see and do in Tobermory...

For a comprehensive guide to the Mull see http://www.explore-isle-of-mull.co.uk/

'Eagle Island' is available on DVD in local retail outlets and on the internet.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
98 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need recommendations on what to see and do in Tobermory...

I saw the "Eagles of Mull" and it was fantastic. Thanks for the recommendations. I am sure I will have a wonderful time!

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
566 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need recommendations on what to see and do in Tobermory...

In Tobermory itself there is the whisky distillery which offers tours (with the inevitable 'sampling'), if you're into that kind of thing. The town itself straggles along the harbour front, with a number of brightly-painted buildings which make it quite photogenic, though there isn't a great deal to do other than simply stroll around and enjoy the wonderful fresh air and maybe investigate some of the shops. You may or may not know this, but Tobermory is the setting for the fictional 'Balamory', which is a children's TV programme over here, so much is understandably made of this, tourism-wise. From Tobermory you can catch a ferry across to Kilchoan, on the Ardnamurchan peninsula on the mainland; another remote and beautiful area, but exploring it without a car wouldn't be at all easy, I would imagine - it's a nice ferry ride, though (well, in decent weather conditions, anyway...)

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need recommendations on what to see and do in Tobermory...

Will you have a car? That will make a big difference.

If you don't have a car, there are a couple of lovely walks you can do around Tobermory. To the north there is a coastal path to the lighthouse, then you can scramble up to the golf course for stunning views. To the south is Aros Park, a large area of forestry commission land, which has many walks and stunning waterfalls. Let me know if you need more detailed directions for walks.

There are also boat trips direct from Tobermory harbour for spotting dolphins, seals and whales.

If you do have a car, Ulva and Calgary Bay are relatively nearby (by Mull standards) and worth a visit. For a longer day out, head down to Lochbuie and Moy Castle, as another poster suggested.

You'll get all sorts of information at www.tobermory.co.uk.

10. Re: Need recommendations on what to see and do in Tobermory...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:35 am, November 19, 2009