We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental on Sunday?

Which Stornoway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
40 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental on Sunday?

I'm planning on flying into Stornoway on the late Sunday flight. I know the buses don't run on Sunday. If need be, I can get a room for the night (at, say, the Hal of the Wynd or the Sandwick Bay), but I would prefer to spend the night over by the Callanish stones. There are a couple of B&Bs there that would work. But, how would I get there, with luggage? There is apparently at least one car rental business out at the airport. Is it possible to rent a car for 2 days from one of these businesses on a Sunday? (I sent an email to Stornoway Car Hire. I haven't checked with Lewis Car Rentals yet) Any thoughts on how to get to the Callanish Stones on a Sunday evening would be useful. Thanks.

12 replies to this topic
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental on Sunday?

Hi,

just checking you are aware of the observation of the Sabbath on Lewis?

Even without that, few car hire firms, anywhere in the UK, operate on a Sunday. I'd look at taxis, if you are in a desperate rush.

But "desperate rush" and Outer Hebrides don't often appear in the same sentence.....

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
40 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental on Sunday?

Understood about the Sabbath. Maybe I'm looking at this with American expectations, but car hire firms would seem to operate at greatly expanded in airports, as compared to normal locations, or at least when flights come in. But, then, Stornoway's airport has to be fairly small and it is a Sunday. So, all bets are off.

Maybe I'd do just as well to overnight in Glasgow and take the Monday 7am flight to Stornoway. I guess I'd be no worse off and could easily find a place to eat at on Sunday night.

(Hum, it's only 270 miles to drive from Glasgow...)

London
Level Contributor
9,304 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental on Sunday?

" 270 miles to drive from Glasgow... "

Plus the ferry of course....

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
40 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental on Sunday?

I presumed they would run the ferry at my convenience...

I guess I do have a couple of solutions. One thought last night was to just rearrange all of my travel so I don't arrive in Lewis on a Sunday. That is doable.

Then, today, I did get an email from a car rental business in Stornoway. They would be willing to leave me a car at the airport, provided I do all of the paperwork, etc. over the phone the day before. I'm not sure exactly how I would get the car keys (hopefully not by checking the top of the front left tire), but I could apparently get a car. So there is a way to get to Callanish Sunday night.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental on Sunday?

If the car hire arrangements are anything like those I had with a company on Orkney you will quite possibly find the car unlocked and the keys behind the sun visor above the drivers seat.. We were leaving after the car hire people had gone home and this is how we were instructed to leave the car at the airport. They were much more laid back about things than their mainland counterparts.

After all its not as if a car thief could get all that far in a hurry. It did surprise us a bit until we thought about it a bit more.:-)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental on Sunday?

Yup, you don;t get many car thefts on islands...

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental on Sunday?

we hired a car for the day on Lewis (Lewis car rentals), we left the keys in the sunvisor and the car on the quay as instructed, we were given the car a quarter full and had to leave it a quarter full, just make sure they leave it with enough petrol to get you where you want to go as garages are few and far between and probably not open on Sundays. Only gripe we had was that it was almost impossible to get first gear in the hire car, but the age and general condition of cars on Lewis was far behind the mainland.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental on Sunday?

Hi - I visited Isle of Lewis in June 2014 and Linda at Lewis Car Rentals was very helpful - she operates pretty much a 24/7 service ...........yes even on Sundays!!! I got a hold of them on 01851 703760. It seems that excellent customer service is alive and well and living on the Isle of Lewis, she couldn't have been more helpful.

Isle of Harris...
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental on Sunday?

It is custom and practice here for the hire firms to leave the keys behind the visor for people arriving at the airport or ferry terminal on a Sunday...or outside business hours. They are all very helpful and easy going - just pick the one that will give you the best deal. And they are very trusting. Comes from having zero crime here ...well, other than the drugs, of course, but that's different.

Glasgow, United...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental on Sunday?

Car hire is now open at the airport & links with all the flights and ferries on Sunday. They also provide new or nearly new cars. They are called Car-hire Hebrides.

Reply to: Car rental on Sunday?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stornoway