We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

McCallums Oyster Bar

Save Topic
McCallums Oyster Bar

Hello, I was employed as Head Chef at 'McCallums Oyster Bar' for the past 5 or so years and as it has come time for me to move on. I would like to thank those who took the time out to comment here on Tripadvisor. This was my first proper job as Head Chef and I was very privileged to get the opportunity to work at McCallum's. Judging by the comments on here, I can walk away knowing I did a good job! Thanks again for the comments, the good and the bad!

15 replies to this topic
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,862 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: McCallums Oyster Bar

Nice gesture Philip. I'm sure you'll be missed. McCallums have big shoes to fill. Good luck in your next position. May I ask where you are headed next?

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: McCallums Oyster Bar

Any chance some of those monkfish recipes could be handed over ?

Save Reply
3. Re: McCallums Oyster Bar

Hi Purple! Thank you for your kind words. Im very lucky to be going to Thailand for a few months break, I'll look for something in the new year!

Save Reply
4. Re: McCallums Oyster Bar

Hi Alpha! Just let me know which recipe you would like and i would be very happy to share it. It may take a wee hurrie but I'll defo get it to you.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: McCallums Oyster Bar

The monkfish broth was very good, Thai seasoning ? What are the restaurant doing by means of an erstwhile replacement ?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,862 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: McCallums Oyster Bar

Alfa, I thought you weren't a fan of McCallums Oyster Bar after giving it a one star review, but now I've read it I see you marked them down to one star out of a possible five because of the location. I think having a seafood restaurant alongside the harbour has its advantages. Just goes to show, different strokes for different folks ;)

Edited: 7:10 am, October 27, 2013
Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,685 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: McCallums Oyster Bar

......... And surely you would know the location of the restaurant before visiting?

8. Re: McCallums Oyster Bar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, November 13, 2013

Save Reply
9. Re: McCallums Oyster Bar

Alpha- I used reduced chicken, fish and shellfish stock then seasoned it with fish sauce and sesame oil. Try the squid brand of nam pla and not anything by the blue dragon company (it's nowhere near as tasty) add a purée of chilli garlic and ginger to taste, lemongrass & lime leaves. When warming the stock to serve slightly poach nice prawns in it then add noodles your choice of veg and coriander and chilli. Sear the chilli seasoned monkfish then add it all into your searving bowl. Meat as well as shellfish go really well with this dish and I can't really give you exact measurements as it's all down to personal taste. Hope this finds you ok and ps love your wit on here!

10. Re: McCallums Oyster Bar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, November 13, 2013

Reply to: McCallums Oyster Bar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted