We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Fort Augustus

Which Fort Augustus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
2 posts
Day trips from Fort Augustus

My wife, daughter (15 y.o.) and I are visiting Fort Augustus in July. We will drive from Edinburgh to Fort Augustus and stay for 6 nights. Then drive back to Edinburgh and stay there for 5 nights.

From Fort Augustus I would like any suggestions for day trips from Fort Augustus.

Thank you.

5 replies to this topic
Lewes, England.
Level Contributor
204 posts
96 reviews
1. Re: Day trips from Fort Augustus

~ You could get out on a boat on the Loch perhaps, see Urqhart Castle or spend some time along the Morayshire coast.

Might be worth trying to spot dolphins / porpoises too.

Findhorn is well worth a walk around, and you can often go rafting / canoeing on the river......

Edited: 5:14 pm, January 21, 2013
The Stunning...
Level Contributor
13,741 posts
177 reviews
2. Re: Day trips from Fort Augustus

Just a quick reply for now but you will have loads to choose from, including Skye, Nevis/Glencoe/Glenfinnan, Cairngorm area, Glen Affric, Inverness/Culloden returning to Fort Augustus via Dores and Foyers.

What type of things are you hoping to do?

Philadelphia...
2 posts
3. Re: Day trips from Fort Augustus

I do want to know if Isle of Skye is a reasonable day trip. Not the entire Isle.

How far east is a reasonable day trip.

I am planning to circle (drive) Loch Ness up the east/south side and back the west/north. Is it worth going into Inverness?

Boat ride on the Loch.

Hike a hill.

Thanks

The Stunning...
Level Contributor
13,741 posts
177 reviews
4. Re: Day trips from Fort Augustus

The Isle Of Skye is definitely do-able on a day trip (as you said not the whole Isle) from Fort Augustus to the Eilean Donan Castle is about an hours drive with the bridge over to Skye another 10/15 minutes.

You will pass through Inverness during the circular drive round Loch Ness so you can decide if you want to have a wander rond.

There are some great walks around Glen Affric which is without question a hidden gem.

You could also go up the Gondola at Nevis Range and do some walking from the restaurant etc. that way you can do a bit of hiking with fabulous views as part of a day trip.

The Stunning...
Level Contributor
13,741 posts
177 reviews
5. Re: Day trips from Fort Augustus

Culloden Battlefield is also well worth a visit whilst passing through Inverness

Reply to: Day trips from Fort Augustus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fort Augustus
More Fort Augustus Topics