We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to York,England

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to York,England

This forum has helped me get from Glasgow to Crail by stagecoach for my 3 day stay in that awesome looking little town. Now I would like help getting from Crail to York by train. Is there a national rail service in Scotland that will travel down the coast to York? Or, are there different train systems for different parts of the countries?

Any support is greatly appreciated.

I am traveling on a Wednesday, July 6 and would like to get to York earlier in the day rather than later.

So excited about my trip and so grateful to you people who write with this forum. :)

6 replies to this topic
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,354 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to York,England

Ok, here goes, this is your best bet!

At Bowling Green Place on St Andrews Rd, Crail, take the 07:52 Stagecoach East Scotland 95 Bus to St Andrews arriving at 08:22.

Next take the 08:35 Stagecoach East Scotland 99 Bus to Leuchars Station arriving at 08:46.

From Leuchars Station take the Virgin EastCoast (Aberdeen-London Kings Cross) 09:21 Train direct to York arriving 12:56.

Of course you could if you wish dispense with the two bus journeys and take a Pre booked Cab from Crail to Leuchars, I would guess maybe approximately £10-15.

Also remember to book in advance with Virgin EastCoast Trains for cheapest fares, I'm seeing that train on Advance Single at £39.

Also note Advance Tickets are for that train and that train only, miss that train and not only do you lose the money you have paid but a walk up fare on the day is nearer £100!!!

I got all that info from www.travelinescotland.com and www.scotrail.co.uk

Good luck.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to York,England

yes from Crail get yourself to Leuchars

book tickets from Leuchars to York on the site below ASAP for the best prices

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,354 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to York,England

If you can get yourself to Leuchars for 07:51, and you don't mind changing trains in Edinburgh, you can save yourself a packet by taking the 07:51 Scotrail train to Edinburgh then changing to the Virgin train there to York getting you in at 11:55.

If you book that right now it is a whopping saving at only £17 Advance Single compared to my earlier quote of £39, and you are in York an hour earlier!!!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,850 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to York,England

It is 15 miles from Crail to Leuchars. I think it might be slightly more for a cab. By bus that early then the first 95 in the morning is 06:33 then the 42B to Leuchars. Will take about an hour.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
13,354 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to York,England

Possibly but the cost is outweighed by the massive saving on that particular train saving £22 plus possibly £3-4 on the two buses involved, well worth it in my book as its less hassle, plus the owners of the OP's accomadation could possibly point them in the direction of a local Private Hire Company!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to York,England

Such great help. I like the idea of getting myself to Leuchers by taxi or car.

Reply to: Travel to York,England
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Crail