We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seashore forage near Woolacombe

Bristol (UK)
Level Contributor
33 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Seashore forage near Woolacombe

Hi,

I have a number of friends going surfing down in Woolacombe during June. Now, I can't surf but I enjoy spending time by the sea and like gathering my own shellfish whether periwinkles, limpets or preferably mussels. I should really try for some razor clams at some point too, but I always forget to take my salt with me.

Anyway, Does anyone know of some good discreet locations near Woolacombe where I might have some luck and get some reasonable specimens? I seem to have struggled over the past few trips to have located a decent site for mussels.

I also have a couple of folding lobster pots which I might be able to drop in a rocky bay somewhere.

I'll be taking snorkelling kit with me, although I no longer have a speargun, but might be able to find something. I'll probbaly also take some fishing kit, although I've very little fishing experience. Might just take a load of mackerell feathers.

Any suggestions welcome, I'm only after a small amount for the pot inthe evenings, if you don't want to divulge your best spots on here you can PM me.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,766 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seashore forage near Woolacombe

Rockham beach might suit:

devonbeachguide.co.uk/northdevon/…rockham.htm

Bristol (UK)
Level Contributor
33 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seashore forage near Woolacombe

Thanks, I'll add it to my plans. Might head down for a recce on the bank holiday weekend. Sounds nicely secluded.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,766 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seashore forage near Woolacombe

It is lovely and quiet, my favourite beach nr Woolacombe

Bristol (UK)
Level Contributor
33 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seashore forage near Woolacombe

Certainly looks like a good bet on Google maps, or even some of the other beaches to the North East. Lee Bay, Broadoar bay and Freshwater bay.

Has anyone got experience of collecting shellfish/fishing at any of these?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,832 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seashore forage near Woolacombe

There is a coastal survey online which I used to read but as luck would have it can't find it now. It could give a lot of info.

Woolacombe used to have razor shell but haven't seen any for some time.

I would think your best bet would be Combe Martin, around Ilfracombe beach at either end, Mortehoe or Puttsborough at either end of Woolacombe where there is some rocky shelter. Can't be more help as I'm in the water and not exploring

I haven't seen a muscle bed in the area as the coastal streach isn't suitable. There are very small quanties in sheltered nooks but not worth the effort. The gentler seas around Minehead, Dunster & Blue Anchor have a good amount of shell fish but no surfing ;-). My friend used to cook some on the beach.

You are more likely to find a variety of seaweed for cooking. Dulse crisps, pepper dulse lightly fried are ok & lots more.

6. Re: Seashore forage near Woolacombe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, September 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Woolacombe