We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Devon Cliffs @ Exmouth - what is the beach like?

shoreham-by-sea
Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Devon Cliffs @ Exmouth - what is the beach like?

Hi there,

I'm looking for a holiday destination for the family this summer and have been looking at Haven Holidays flagship park "Devon Cliffs" as it seems to be right on the beach

We live by the sea, but have a shingle beach, so the one thing I go on holiday for is a good spacious sandy beach, like those in north cornwall (polzeath)

Can anyone tell me what the beach is like there - is it proper fine golden sand or something less "special"?

Cheers,

Ali

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Devon Cliffs @ Exmouth - what is the beach like?

The beach at Exmouth is sand not shingle. Whether it is "proper fine golden sand" is a matter of opinion - personally I would say "yes". Exmouth is a very pleasant resort, with the beach slightly away from the town. It has a rail station for trips to Exeter and beyond. The beach faces south. Like many beaches, dogs are restricted to the far ends in summer.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
484 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Devon Cliffs @ Exmouth - what is the beach like?

Devon Cliffs is also known locally as Sandy Bay. The site has its own private beach which can only be accessed through the camp site and is seperate from Exmouth's beach. The beaches at Devon Cliffs and Exmouth are indeed sandy, though I wouldn't necessarily describe it as 'proper fine golden' sand.

The beach at Devon Cliffs can get a bit narrow when the tide comes in and as the name suggests, the beach is surrounded by cliffs. The beach at Exmouth, however, is much longer (2 miles) and wider with dunes in places and much more pleasant. Both of them can be prone to seaweed at times.

Surprisingly, just a little further along the coast (going east) at Budleigh Salterton, the beach is very definitely pebbles.

Exmouth is a pleasant place for a summer holiday and there should be enough to keep the family entertained as well as the beach.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Devon Cliffs @ Exmouth - what is the beach like?

Useful information.

xyz

shoreham-by-sea
Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Devon Cliffs @ Exmouth - what is the beach like?

Thanks a lot for the info.

I've seen some more photos and I think it is where we'll be going.

I've heard a few people saying that there can be a lot of seaweed and I don't think our 3 yr old daughter will like that, but there's always the swimming pools instead.

Cheers,

Ali

Exmouth Devon
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Devon Cliffs @ Exmouth - what is the beach like?

Hi Ali

Im an Exmouth girl born and bred so i know the area really well. Devon Cliffs beach is ok if you dont mind a hilly yomp !! Alot of the caravens are a bit of a walk from the beach, but it has got a car park at the top of the hill !!!!! So you can pack your kids up in the car and drive down to the car park !! The Beach is sandy BUT not great and can get a bit warm, because its in a cove and quite sheltered

If you want a nice clean SAFE beach then Exmouth beach is the one for you its about a 15min drive to Exmouth seafront from Devon Cliffs .There is a large car park right on the sea front Right by Maer Rocks So park the car cross the road and set yourself up for the day , there are rock pools at the Maer for all the budding David Bellameys' which are full of sea life at low tide. My kids spent hours with their little nets and buckets when they where young and then proudley podding back up the beach to show me the catch of the day !! Ice creams on tap at the shop which the prices are no different to any other seaside town ....if you fancy a walk along the seafront take comfy shoes because its long ....

There is a play park with peddle boats and an adventure play ground which again my kids loved . Crazy golf (but dont get to excited)

While you play Crazy golf the kids can go in the adventure park you can see them and they can see you .(See told you not to get to excited )

So come on down and give it go i think you will enjoy what Devon Cliffs and Exmouth on the whole has to offer a family .Oh and one last thing loads of great days out too.... ie Crealy

Paignton Zoo

Dartmoor (but dont fed the ponies their fat enough)

JCB world (great fun for all the family!)

Bicton park ( If you like posh gardens and very yummy cream teas not really that good for kids and not really that good for your waist-line but what the heck your on holiday !!!)

Any way hope ive been of some use to you

Happy holiday Hunting

Anna R

Ps Dont tell my kids i told you about their prize catches they would kill me now as they are now 20 18 and 15 !!! street cred gone right out of the window !!! Love Anna

cumbria
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Devon Cliffs @ Exmouth - what is the beach like?

hi,

I 'm planning to go to Devon Cliffs , the Haven holiday park in october. Did you stay there ?

I've been to haven parks before in Scarborough and Southport with my kids. they loved it and i tolerated the standards for their sake. is this really more upmarket ? it looks it from the website and I'm going to book in the next day or two

I would value your opinion if you stayed there this year

thankyou

Diane

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
484 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Devon Cliffs @ Exmouth - what is the beach like?

I 'm planning to go to Devon Cliffs , the Haven holiday park in october. Did you stay there ?

I've been to haven parks before in Scarborough and Southport with my kids. they loved it and i tolerated the standards for their sake. is this really more upmarket ? it looks it from the website and I'm going to book in the next day or two

I would value your opinion if you stayed there this year

Hi Diane

I live in Exmouth rather than having stayed at Devon Cliffs, so whether it is of a better standard than other Haven sites, I'm afraid I can't really comment.

On the down side, Devon Cliffs is a very large park with rows and rows of very closely spaced caravans. It is extremely busy during the summer which attracts its own problems (of the type that often involves the local constabulary), but in October, I would imagine it is somewhat quieter and more civilised.

On the plus side, they have a good pool and a health spa / beauty salon that are regularly used by the locals. My kids prefer the pool at Devon Cliffs to going to the main pool in the town.

Exmouth itself is a pleasant place to visit, though again, is going to be quieter in October than during the summer. If you are able to "tolerate" Haven camp sites, then I am sure your kids will not be disappointed and you can pamper yourself in the salon.

Hope you enjoy Exmouth if you decide to make the trip.

PS. Locally, Devon Cliffs is called Sandy Bay.

cumbria
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Devon Cliffs @ Exmouth - what is the beach like?

I expected as much, hard to believe that during the Summer months brochure prices are upwards of £1,000 per week !

Thank you very much for your candid and prompt reply. The spa looks like it will keep me sane, so I think I'll give it a spin.

Most of the parks are the nearest options for large cities , Liverpool, Newcastle and Glasgow bringing the kind of trouble you mentioned and have facilities that tolerate abandoned feral children. We are going during the Scottish half term , based on the assumption that not many Scottish families are going to travel that far for the sake of a one week break.

I will post a review when we get back, so thanks for the advice to date, it's greatly appreciated

Diane

shoreham-by-sea
Level Contributor
15 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Devon Cliffs @ Exmouth - what is the beach like?

Hi,

We did stay at Devon Cliffs earlier this month and had a good time.

If you stay in one of the luxury caravans, the accomodation is pretty good, although they can get a little claustrophic after a while.

Bear in mind the heating and sound insulation isn't great, so they can be noisy if your neighbours are rowdy or come and go at strange times! May also be chilly in October.

The Beach was good and fairly quiet when we went in early July - much quieter than the beaches in Cornwall where we normally go which can be standing room only at times!

The park itself was good with good facilities although it is HUGE - we had to drive to the facilities most times so we could get back OK with tired kids afterwards (ours are very young). The site is also very HILLY, so if you have a lot of clobber to take to the beach then bring some sort of trolley to carry it - you can also park near the beach for free which helps.

While we were there, there was a problem with a fractured sewage pipe, which meant that all the effluent from the site was having to be taken away by tanker from the site. This meant that there were sewage trucks thundering by up and down the steep hills 24 hours a day, and the noise of diesel engines pumping and trucks reversing (beeping) all the time. This was a shame but was only scheduled to last for a couple of weeks, but may be worth checking if you are going this summer (2006)

The pool complex is excellent, and my wife enjoyed some pampering at the spa (extra cost). The other facilites were good if you had older kids. It was pretty busy on site the week we were there, which was before school hols, so I can imagine it would be crazy now!

Food outlets on-site are good - excellent buffet at Sonny Jims, really good food, although takeaway choice is limited (Burger King, Fish and Chips or Pizza)

One tip - the on-site shop was heaving on the Saturday evening with huge queues, so bring your own stuff for the first day, or go off-site to the nearby Tescos.

The evening entertainment was ok, good for the kids, but as always seems to be the case, bingo is the big attraction at a time that I feel the kids entertainment should be on (7-8pm). I guess this is the big money spinner for them.

As you say, it isn't the most sophisticated place to stay (think I was the only male over 12 with no tattoos), but for a good family holiday with lots to do whatever the weather it is excellent.

One final big tip - don't pay the inflated Haven prices - search Google for Devon Cliffs and you will see tons of private owners renting direct or agencies. There are several who have a huge range, and their prices include the entertainment passes, so there is absolutely no difference in your holiday - in fact it is even better as you can choose the location and specification of your home in advance, rather than have it allocated by Haven. We paid £600 for a week in a top-spec home which would have been £1000 with Haven.

Hope this helps, any other questions, just ask!

Cheers,

Ali

cumbria
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Devon Cliffs @ Exmouth - what is the beach like?

That's brilliant Ali, you're reply is very reassuring. I got my break direct from Haven but only paid £280 for the week. I never knew about the private lets, so I'll bear that in mind if we like it enough to go back. My mum takes them to Filey for two weeks every Summer, They re 10 and 12 so until now haven't realised they were holidaying at an open prison. I stayed for one night last Summer, there was a domestic in the main bar when I was wheeling my nephew in to a table in his pram. I got a full pint of lager over me when a screaming harpie threw it and her husband ducked ( both of them ,like you say, more tattooes than teeth ). He obviously knew it was coming. I had to complain before they were removed by doorstaff and this was at 7pm ! There was a dirty nappy lying under our table, and the smoke was unbearable. It was dirty , cheap and nasty. The kids entertainers and the swimming pools are the only redeeming features of these sites. I'm hoping this trip will allow my mother and I to reach a compromise on the issue as I will never holiday at an open prison again and she'll never get on an aeroplane as long as she lives. keep your fingers crossed !

Di