We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping St Helier

united kingdom
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping St Helier

Why when it is constantly reiterated that there is no VAT in Jersey do all the shops charge exactly the same prices as they do on the mainland?

I was very disappointed with the shops in St Helier felt I could have been on any High street in England.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping St Helier

LOL, you should have chosen Guernsey ;-)

P M
Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping St Helier

Unfortunately, the shops do this because they can. Many retailers complain about people buying things on-line but they have only themselves to blame. There is also a Jersey sales tax of 5% on most items.

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping St Helier

It's not all the shops, in fairness - although a lot do.

A few of the high street names that I shop at (Oasis, for one) is 10% less at the till than on the tag. That accounts for VAT off, and GST and 'shipping costs' on. Boots is also VAT free but charges 5% GST.

That said, I think Jersey makes up for poor shopping in other ways. Why waste time in a generic branch of Next when you can be at St Brelades, or exploring the castle at Gorey?

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping St Helier

Bectoria, so right! It's the scenery that make the isles such a wonderful place to visit (and live ^_^)

Jersey
Level Contributor
266 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping St Helier

Precisely why I always recommend that people avoid spending a large part of their trip shopping. If you're coming over from the UK you can probably get what you want from the UK at the same price or cheaper. Only items that appear to be a bit cheaper that the UK are jewellery and watches.

Avoid the shops and see the island - far more enjoyable.

united kingdom
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping St Helier

I only spent spent less than an hour looking at the shops in St Helier having been lured by promises in brochure that it was a "shoppers paradise". I expected to find independent local shops not the big name stores on every UK high Street.

I avoided St Helier as much as I possibly could.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,232 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping St Helier

yeah, they lure you with a subtropial climate as well ^_^

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
474 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping St Helier

People often make a big deal out of this - not sure why. There seems to be 'facts' put about by some locals that 'everything' is more expensive here, but that's simply not true.

Plenty of shops in St. Helier and elsewhere are considerably cheaper than the UK. Cosmetics, Toiletries, Fragrances, Gadgets, Tablets, Laptops, Jewellery, Watches... I could go on, but all of these can be had cheaper than any typical UK High St. Most luxury goods are cheaper here. Things which are sold at Manufacturers' recommended pricing (such as Apple) are cheaper here. I can buy golf clubs cheaper here than I can get them for wholesale in the UK. And so on... :)

De Gruchy, who you won't find elsewhere, make mention of their lower than UK prices on in-store Point of Sale. They used to offer to refund the difference if you could find the same items cheaper on the mainland, not sure if they still do.

There are plenty of locally owned and run shops, and plenty of low prices. You just have to do a bit more looking for them than you would in the UK. So many people I've spoken to haven't ventured off King/Queen St!

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping St Helier

I have to agree with ninebyfive; there are LOADS of independent shops in St Helier, but almost none of them are on King/Queen Street. Rather they are on the streets either side, or those little lanes that run paralell, in and around the central market and a few around the Wharf Street area. And Liberty Wharf of course.

Forest of Dean.
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping St Helier

Can you get a shop street plan of St. Helier please ?

Get answers to your questions about St. Helier
Recent Conversations