We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

duty free from jersey

Dudley, United...
1 post
Save Topic
duty free from jersey

hi, can anyone tell me, we are planning a trip to jersey and while there we will be going over to france for a day trip. does anyone now if we can bring cigarettes back from france, through jersey to bring into the uk.

thank you.

Jsysco
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: duty free from jersey

As far as I know, for the purposes of bringing stuff back into the UK, they'd only consider your immediate departure point, Jersey, which is outside of the EU and so you'd be restricted to the 1L spirits, 200 cigarettes duty free limit. If you were going direct from France then there wouldn't be any limit (within reason).

However, I'm not sure if you'd be able to buy them in France (where I assume you'd pay French tax on them) and then have them in addition to your duty free limit (as technically, you'd have paid the tax), but I suspect not. Sorry :(

Hope you have a great trip!

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,464 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: duty free from jersey

Why would you want to buy cigarettes in France? They're now about as expensive as in the UK. The days of cheap French cigarettes ended a few years ago.

Neustadt an der...
Level Contributor
3 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: duty free from jersey

ASK the people, that should know:

gov.je/Travel/…Allowances.aspx

Jersey's alowances will apply first as your intermediate port of call. And as the "Destination Expert (for Ipswich)" wrote do compare prices at all means. If you own a smart phone load down the KLM Converter tool to be in the picture...

Edited: 4:28 am, May 28, 2012
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: duty free from jersey

Booze and Cig's (I dont smoke) slightly more expensive than UK airports but at least you dont have a baggge problem on return home.

Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St. Helier
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
674 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: duty free from jersey

Cigarettes are considerably cheaper in Duty Free. Whatever you do, don't buy any alcohol in France if you are returning to Jersey and then flying back to the UK. Unless alcohol is in your hold luggage it will be confiscated at security in Jersey as you leave.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: duty free from jersey

As with every airport, no liquids allowed through security. To save a few quid and have extra weight is not worth the hassle. Pay a little more in Jersey and carry on the plane without any problems. Or even buy on the plane.

Edited: 6:14 am, July 12, 2012
Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St. Helier
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
674 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: duty free from jersey

Regarding the last post, be aware that BA doesn't do duty free on the Jersey routes.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: duty free from jersey

Just got back from Jersey and the price of cigarettes and spirits at the airport is brilliant. For example 2 x 1 litre bottles of Smirnoff = £20. Rothmans cigarettes about £21 for 400.

I didn't look at the prices in the shops so can't help you there and earlier comments about prices in France are quite right. Not worth buying over there.

With the cigarettes at the airport be careful though as they are selling them in 400 packs and the per person duty free allowance into the UK is still only 200.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
46,953 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: duty free from jersey

Cigs on the boat Duty free (condor) on the way back from France were a good deal at 52 quid for 400. I was asked to buy them for a friend in Jersey.

Bacardi is cheaper in a french hypermarket than the duty free either on the boat or in the UK df.

kirkham
Level Contributor
274 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: duty free from jersey

Hi peterdh,

Did you buy your cigarettes from Jersey airport duty free?

£21 for 400 rothmans sounds really cheap!

Get answers to your questions about St. Helier
Recent Conversations