We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BMIbaby child travelling with expired passport?

Jersey Channel...
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
BMIbaby child travelling with expired passport?

I am wondering if a 12 year old travelling with her father from UK to Jersey on BMIbaby can travel without photo id. Her passport has just expired. I have suggested taking expired passport and birth certificate along with father's passport but am not sure if it is enough?

They are due to travel in a few hours and the office is shut now so can't call. Can anyone help?

Mentioned in this post
Jersey
Jersey
Channel Islands, UK
Essex
Level Contributor
30,359 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BMIbaby child travelling with expired passport?

Your ideas are good, but ultimately, you can only 'chance-it' and see. At least 'yours' are travelling within the UK, and the EU which might help, but it will depend upon Passport Control. There are rules, and you know them!!

Jersey Channel...
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BMIbaby child travelling with expired passport?

Thanks for your reply. I think we will have to ultimately chance it. Maybe they won't notice it has expired! Will have very disappointed children if can't make it over!

Essex
Level Contributor
30,359 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BMIbaby child travelling with expired passport?

You will be lucky if they don't notice it, dates are something they are 'attuned' to. I wish you luck, but don't be surprised if your luck runs out. Recently there has been a thread for a 'lad' whose passport was damaged going to France. He got away with it, but in this day and age of heightened 'terrorist' alert, IMO he was lucky.

Just because you have the 12 & unders, does not make you immune. There are tales of young kids' unwittingly' being used in all sorts of terrorist ploys, see 'vietnam' history.....

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186313-i1627-k3…

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Jersey Channel...
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BMIbaby child travelling with expired passport?

I find it hard to understand what the airlines require as they all require different things. Last year we travelled with Thomfly and they did not require photo id for children under 16. Flyby and BMI will accept photo id which has expired up to 2 years. Looking at the BMIbaby website it is really unclear but seems to me that they only require photo id for under 15s. It is unclear in that it also mentions children being on parents passports. I think it is one of those things, such as different size cabin luggage for different airlines that are here to grate us AAARGH

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: BMIbaby child travelling with expired passport?

Kids do not normally need ID at all if travelling accompanied on domestic flights - the only exception I know of is Ryanair.

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,161 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BMIbaby child travelling with expired passport?

dzug is correct, under 16's do not need photo ID on BMIbaby domestic flights.

Jersey Channel...
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BMIbaby child travelling with expired passport?

It was fine. She travelled without ID. In fact the airport was so busy they were checking people in while they were queing and so not really even looking at the ID. There was no problem anyway and a great holiday was had by all! Thanks for all your input.

Essex
Level Contributor
30,359 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BMIbaby child travelling with expired passport?

From the pov of you and yoru baby, I'm glad it worked out well, and in general a baby is hardly likely to be a terrorist I'm well aware of that (but there are stories from Korea and Vietnam....).

However, the Channel islands to the UK are no longer 'domestic' flights, and the lack of vigilance you described at check in/passport control is frankly scary IMHO!!

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,161 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BMIbaby child travelling with expired passport?

"However, the Channel islands to the UK are no longer 'domestic' flights"

Yes they are. No advanced passenger information required, photo driving licence or council bus pass are perfectly acceptable ID and children do not require ID on most airlines flying here.

10. Re: BMIbaby child travelling with expired passport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 15, 2011
Get answers to your questions about St. Helier