We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

Amiens
4 posts
Save Topic
Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

i am more than happy to pay for the development of all airports I use, and that cost is one of the items very correctly included in airport taxes/fees. But Knock airport has come up with a sneaky semantic trick: they impose a supplementary "development tax", thatbthey spring at the last minute on the poor unsuspecting passangers that have the misfortune to be trapped there. It's a dirty trick so they can appear to be cheaper then they really are when people are purchasing their tickets and choosing their airports!

It is also wrong for them to try to blame the lack of transparency on the airlines: if they were even trying to be honest about it, they would have posted a clear warning on their website, which they have not done.

ALL airport charges and fees should be included in the boarding fee, and any departure from this classic structure should CLEARLY DIVULGED to passengers.

I will never fly this airport again.

148 replies to this topic
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

@ XEXglobetrotter: on which airline did you depart Knock?

I've been checking online availability and fares from Knock for next February, and all 3 airlines - Aer Lingus, Flybe and Ryanair - had "!" box highlighting the departure tax details on the fare quotation page. Sorry, I can't seem to give a direct link.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

Departure tax is nothing new! The last time we were there we paid €10 which we knew about, but Knock saves us such a lot of time and bother its well worth the charge, lets face it Ireland has been caught out with the worlds finance situation! And wherever they can make a € they will.......

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,587 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

This thread is over a year old! Why bring it up again?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

Sorry I don't look at dates! I just add my little bit for what its worth, I am a new comer to the Knock forum so I will start checking the dates if that's how its done..........

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

Remind me again who set this Airport up and would his organization rip you off sorry I mean not disclose the full truth.

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

I was informed about this when I booked with Aer Lingus.

soaked in ireland
Level Contributor
441 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

Thank you, i would not have knew this charge had you not posted.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

Just saw this thread now. I flew out from Knock last April and got hit with the stealth tax. Personally, I will never fly from Knock again because of what I feel, was the disingenuous way this tax is applied. At no point, was I notified about it, in advance. I complained bitterly to the poor lass on the desk who said to me" I bet you booked with Ryanair. They don't advertise the charge on their site!". Well, why would they ffs. Its nothing to do with them. They wanted an extra 10 euro for my then 13 year old which I point blankly refused to pay. At this stage, a queue was building behind me and I told the girl that she wasn't going to be dealing with them until I saw a manager. At this point, she waived my son's fee. I think its scandalous. I have no problem paying a departure tax if I know about it in advance, but to be held to ransom at the point of departure is simply wrong. And the argument about it being clearly display on the airport website holds no weight. . If I book a flight from e.g. Dublin to London, I don't go on the airports website to see if there are any duplicitous taxes to be paid at the airport. Knock Airport got 650000 passengers through its gates last year yet they don't have adequate airport facilities e.g. little or no parking, either short or long term, a "restaurant" that has a monopoly and serves poor expensive fair. Things are apparently so bad at Knock, they can't afford to pay for the bronze statue of Monsigneur Horan, the founder of the airport. Shame on them.

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

Just to add, I rang the airport before departing, to enquire about parking and was told that there wasn't any available???? Kind of makes a mockery of the whole thing.

soaked in ireland
Level Contributor
441 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

i am flying out from knock on the 12th of july and have intended on parking at there car park for 14 days, i would have perfered to fly from dublin but it was approx 400 euro more, i dont like the charge as i will be caught for 50 euro, but i believe we are stuck with it, whats got me worried now is the car parking, if you cant pre book how can you be sure you will get two spaces mid day in july, can anyone who uses this airport advise would be great, we have good 3 hr trip to the airport so we wont have time for messing about, there will also be 3 small children with us, i had hope knock airport would be a very calm relaxed affair in comparison to dublin, now im not so sure.

Reply to: Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Knock