We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Dublin to Knock 1 Day Tours?

Which Knock hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Westlake, Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Any Dublin to Knock 1 Day Tours?

I have friend that will be in Dublin for a few days in November. His wife deperately wants to visit Knock Shrine. They prefer not to rent a car. He contacted the Irish Tourist Board and told the only way to get there was a 5 1/2 hour multiple bus ride each way! I looked for one day tours from Dublin but don't see any. I only found 1 airline that flys to Knock from Dublin and that is in the evening and returns in the morning. Does anyone know of a 1 day tour from Dublin???? Any other options?

Dublin
Level Contributor
134 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Dublin to Knock 1 Day Tours?

You have several options but none of them perfect.

If your friends wife is determined then she should prepare to stay overnight.

Best suggestion would be to combine visit to Knock with visit to Galway or Sligo. My personal preference would be Galway.

There are flights to both locations and bus services to and from Knock.

There are also bus services to departing early from Dublin to both cities.

Train services are also available.

My best advice, for what it is worth,would be train to Galway, bus to Knock, return same day and overnight in Galway. Great places to stay and eat.

Return via train next day.

Down side of flying is the fact that Dublin airport is a bit of a zoo.One bus journey on Irish roads is enough.

Web addresses below. Hope this is of some help.

http://www.citylink.ie/route_galw2dubl.htm and buseireann.ie/site/…expressway_services.asp

for bus.

www.aerarann.ie -for air.

www.irishrail.ie- for train

Westlake, Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Dublin to Knock 1 Day Tours?

Idrone,

Thank you for your advise. I passed it on to my friend. I am suprised Knock isn't more popular so that there would be day tours scheduled. I was there years ago and remember it being crowded.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,155 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Dublin to Knock 1 Day Tours?

"I am suprised Knock isn't more popular so that there would be day tours scheduled."

It's quite some distance from Dublin to Knock. Most local people, if they go at all, would probably go as an organized tour from their parish. Also bear in mind how much attitudes and behaviors towards the church have changed in the past few years in Ireland. Many younger people today would have no interest at all in visiting a site like Knock.

Urbandale, Iowa
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Dublin to Knock 1 Day Tours?

What was the outcome of this adventure. I too want to visit Knock and am having a time finding a day trip. I will be staying in Dublin with friends and thought I could find a day trip also. What did your friends do and if they stayed overnight in Galway was it a place they could recommend?

Thank you

Lenne Orona

Aurora, Il

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Dublin to Knock 1 Day Tours?

Knock Shrine has a Dublin office. If you contact them they may know of groups that are going from Dublin during your time and most groups would likely allow you to join them.

Contact info Telephone: (01) 873 3356 Fax: (01) 873 3356

E-Mail: DublinOffice@knock-shrine.ie

6. Re: Any Dublin to Knock 1 Day Tours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, September 11, 2009