We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail Pass and Newtownmountkennedy

Cincinnati, OH
3 posts
Save Topic
Rail Pass and Newtownmountkennedy

I will be staying in Newtownmountkennedy next month and was wondering if I should get a rail pass. What is the nearest train station and how would I get there? I know most trains run out of Dublin- is that where I should try to get from Newtownmountkennedy?

Wexford Ireland
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail Pass and Newtownmountkennedy

As Newtownmountkennedy is not on the rail network you would be better off with a bus pass, the nearest rail station is perhaps Greystones which is several miles away. Buses travelling from Wexford, Enniscorthy, Arklow would normally pass through Newtownmountkennedy. If you Google "Bus Eireann" you should be able to come up with timetables and weekly pass prices. "Iarnrod Eireann" is the rail company, the journey from Dublin to Rosslare Harbour is one of the nicest in the country. If you decide to do it sit on the left of the train facing forward for the best views. Hope this helps.

San Diego
Level Contributor
513 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rail Pass and Newtownmountkennedy

We will be in Newt' as well in May and also would like to go by rail. We have a car to get to a nearby station. I understand it's a 40 min trip. Does anyone know how much it costs?

Wouldn't the bus take a long time with lots of stops. Thanks

San Diego
Level Contributor
513 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rail Pass and Newtownmountkennedy

I should clarify that I am also inquiring as to rail from Newt' to Dublin for a day trip. Cheers!

San Diego
Level Contributor
513 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rail Pass and Newtownmountkennedy

"Newtownmountkennedy is a village/small town in Co. Wicklow, about 35 km from Dublin. There isn't a huge range of public transport available. The Bus Eireann provincial service Wicklow - Dublin/Dublin Airport service no. 133 stops at Newtownmountkennedy

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1234882495-133.pdf

and the Dublin Bus service no. 184 links Newtownmountkennedy with Bray DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit) station. Once you are on the DART, you can access further rail, bus and tram services.

www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/viewer.asp…"

Found this on another thread...credit goes to 'tbl'

5. Re: Rail Pass and Newtownmountkennedy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 pm, October 21, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Newtown Mount Kennedy
More Newtown Mount Kennedy Topics