We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wicklow Heather Restuarant

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wicklow Heather Restuarant

My husband and I are taking a DAY TRIP from Dublin to Glendalough, via the Saint Kevin's bus.

We'll be starting and ending at the Glendalough Visitor's Center, hiking in the area for the day. Our first born is named Kevin FYI.

I've read about the Wicklow Heather Restaurant and it sounds like a wonderful place to eat after our hike, and before we return to Dublin that same night.

Questions: How far is it from the visitor's center to the Wicklow Heather, and do they welcome hikers like us? We'll be in our hiking gear, jeans etc.

Thanks.

Ireland
Level Contributor
97 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wicklow Heather Restuarant

Sullysdream, you won’t be disappointed with the Wicklow Heather. I recently visited it for breakfast & put a review up: tripadvisor.ie/ShowUserReviews-g551590-d1894…

I can’t say enough about the quality of the food & pleasantness of the staff. If the weather holds up, the view from the Restaurant over the valley is fabulous. The Wicklow Heather is a 3 minute drive from Gelndalough or a 10 minute walk (it’s not far at all). They welcome everyone; the dress code is casual so I wouldn’t have any concerns about that.

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Wicklow Heather Restuarant

Great!

We will plan on going to the Wicklow Heather, and will walk since we will not have a car.

Thank you!

Earth
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wicklow Heather Restuarant

If you are going to be there on a weekend or Bank Holiday in high season make a reservation!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wicklow Heather Restuarant

The Wicklow Heather is well used to hikers and many walking and climbing clubs hold their Christmas parties there. Indeed, any business in Laragh/Glendalough that turned its nose up at hikers would quickly find itself going bust!

However, you mention you are taking a day trip on the St Kevin's bus. The bus does not arrive in Glendalough until about 12.45 and leaves at 16.30 on weekdays and 17.40 on weekends in the summer months. Are you certain you can fit in a visit to the Monastic City, a hike and a meal in that time?

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Wicklow Heather Restuarant

@Joe It does see too much. :(

What other options do we have for transportion to Glendalough?

We were planning on making the day trip on a Friday, September 22nd.

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Wicklow Heather Restuarant

I just read on TA an option to take the train to Rathdrum and then a taxi to Glendalough.

Does anyone have information on this option they can share?

Thanks

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wicklow Heather Restuarant

Mick Dunbar is your man: http://www.wicklowwaybus.com/

I've used him on a few occasions and he's very reliable. Between the rail fare and the taxi it will be a more costly option.

The setup is that he meets the train that leaves Dublin at 7:32am and arrives at Rathdrum at 8.53. Taxi will get you to Glendalough by 9.30am. HOWEVER, Irish Rail have announced their intention to replace the 7.32am service with a service departing at 9.40am. Details here:

irishrail.ie/news_centre/general_news.asp…

No effective date has yet been given but I would guess it will be implemented by the time you get here in September. I don't know how this will affect those wanting to use the train and taxi option - I would guess 11.30 is the earliest you would get to Glendalough by this method but you would need to check closer to the date.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Edited: 7:17 pm, July 12, 2011
Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Wicklow Heather Restuarant

Well that's a bummer......

I sent an email to the Wicklow Way Bus asking a few questions. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Wicklow Heather Restuarant

I received a response from Mick from the Wicklow Way Bus. What a great guy!

Since the day we are planning to travel to Glendalough (Friday, September 23rd), is "off season", he told me he could work out a plan with us.

We will call him when we are in the Dublin area and work out a plan from there.

Hopefully, we will have more time than the original plan with St. Kevin's Bus service. We really want to go to the Wickow Heather!

Thanks!

Ireland
Level Contributor
97 posts
344 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wicklow Heather Restuarant

Hope you have great time!

Get answers to your questions about Glendalough Village
More Glendalough Village Topics