We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway Ireland

Which Spiddal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
73 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Galway Ireland

Dear trip advisor community,

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with Spiddal, County Galway. It is on Rt. 363. I would like to get a B&B and do not know what area in Spiddal is closes to Rossaveel, County Galway. If anyone has easy directions from Shannon to Spiddal, that would be much appreciated. I always have such a difficult time going through the round abouts in Galway, and I'm hearing they are taking them out.

Much thanks,

She

12 replies to this topic
Portarlington...
Level Contributor
514 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galway Ireland

Roundabouts.............http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/roundabouts.html

Shannon to Spiddal http://goo.gl/maps/EKndR

Hope the links are usefull.

Edited: 11:01 am, October 08, 2013
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
73 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galway Ireland

Bannerman-7

Thank you very much the directions are great especially the information on using the roundabouts. I've been driving in Ireland for over 17 years, and have always had problems in Galway especially when taking a side trip to the islands.

She

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galway Ireland

She, as you mentioned already, quite a few of the roundabouts have already been replaced in Galway, so you might get a pleasant surprise.

They are in the process of taking out the busy one at the Tesco Shopping Centre(I think its the Bodkin roundabout). I always found this the worst one, especially heading out towards Spiddal.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,146 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galway Ireland

Try Tua Beag for accommodation. http://www.bandbgalway.com/ Tygh Hughes bar is a good option for the evening/night. The Ferry at Ros is another 20 minutes away west of Spiddal

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
73 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galway Ireland

Bannergirl,

Thank you, I'm having a hard time with the image. Are the Irish people happy with the new system. Are they putting in exits, like here in the states, and if so, do you know if there is a lot of construction in that area? If we in the states get off the exit, we are stuck until we get to the next exit and hopefully find where we can get back on going back. I really liked the roundabouts because you could pretty much circle until your could get collected.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
73 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galway Ireland

Toney, Thank you, I opened the link but could not get any info, due to not being able to put in arrival dates. Should not be a problem. I took the phone number and will call.

Sheila

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,968 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Galway Ireland

Sheila, what they have done to replace the roundabouts is put in traffic lights.

I don't know how the locals feel about it and I only drive to Galway every few weeks.

I found them pretty effective though. I guess if you go wrong, it would just mean going a little up the road and turning back, so not too bad.

However, there are still quite a few roundabouts, so you will get plenty of practice on those ones:-)

If you are staying in Spiddal, be sure to try out Builin Blasta cafe.

http://ceardlann.com/en/builin-blasta-cafe

Edited: 3:28 pm, October 10, 2013
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,146 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Galway Ireland

There is an email link on the page http://www.bandbgalway.com/email.html There are a few other options in the area but we have narrowed things down over the years and Tua Beag gets my vote every time. The café BG has given in the Spiddal Craft Village is worth a look as are the adjoining units.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
73 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Galway Ireland

Bannerman,

I hope I'm not bothering you, but my travel location changed from Shannon to Spiddal, to Shannon to Glann, Oughterard. Your last ones really were basis and right to the point.

Kind regards,

Sheila

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,146 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Galway Ireland

Glann just above Oughterard on the side of Lough Corrib? Oughterard itself classed the gateway to the Connemara is a nice place but you could be a little out (maybe 2 miles (Forest Hill?) up a narrow unlit road if you plan on a night out?

See Oughterard and links in …activeboard.com/t50055177/n59-galway-route/

Reply to: Galway Ireland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Spiddal
Recent Conversations