We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doolinferries.com MV Happy Hooker= Unhappy Customers

Tralee
3 posts
Save Topic
Doolinferries.com MV Happy Hooker= Unhappy Customers

We drove from Kilkee to Doolin to catch the ferry at Doolin to Inishere. We knew we wouldn't make the 10.00am sailing but we had plenty of time to make the 11.30am sailing. We bought our tickets at the office in Doolin for 15.00 euros per head. (5 euros cheaper than advertised on the Internet).

We went to the pier to find that purchasing a ticket there would only cost 10.00 euros.

We waited on the pier where it was quite breezy for our 11.30 am sailing. A ferry did leave just after 11.15 but it wasn't ours. It was for those with WHITE tickets & ours were YELLOW. 11.25am I notice that there wasn't a ferry headed back to the Doolin pier nor was there any near by. I approached the ferry operator only to be told it would be with us in 10 minutes only to be still standing there at 12.45pm and still those with WHITE tickets were boardiing firs,t followed by FAMILIES with YELLOW tickets. Everyone else had to wait. We were frozen & had enough of waiting so I went to the office at the pier for a refund & was greeted by a tall thin man (who was not the owner) and he was anything but friendly, in fact he was quite rude. We weren't the only ones unhappy with the service on the day. We gave an English couple a spin back to their B&B in Doolin so they could get additional clothing as they too were frozen. They had intended driving back to the pier as at 12.45pm they were told it would be another 30 mins before the ferry would be ready to leave. This was the 11.30 sailing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a joke. I went back to the office in Doolin & received my refund from the girl there.

16 replies to this topic
Westborough
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Doolinferries.com MV Happy Hooker= Unhappy Customers

Yes, I understand that part of it. I was merely pointing out that the person who was rude was not a Doolin Ferries staff member, but that of a differant ferry company who was clearly trying to further agitate an already very frusterated customer.

As for the ticket price, I do know that the ferry companies do advertise €10 rates for students and €10 rates for one-way fares. Perhaps this was the misunderstanding.

Limerick, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Doolinferries.com MV Happy Hooker= Unhappy Customers

hi , just to clear things up.

1. there are 3 companies operateing out of the port of doolin. Aran doolin ferries, doolinferry.com and doolin2aran ferries. although they all sound similar they are seperate companies. The orginal service was started over 40 years ago by doolin ferries but this company no longer exists as the two company directors went there seperate ways in 2005 as aran doolin ferries and doolinferry.com (now o'brienline)

all companies have different colour tickets and use different boats

all 3 companies have individual offices at the pier but aran doolin ferries have two additional offices on aproach road to the pier. people make big mistakes in buying tickets here before you get to the competitive area of the pier.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Doolinferries.com MV Happy Hooker= Unhappy Customers

It sounds more like a pack of sharks waiting for their breakfast. I have seen this kind of thing in Turkey where boat owners compete for custom and reserve their own space at the quay, sometimes leads to fights among boat owners if they lose their place.

Surely the boat operators at Doolin can organise themselves better than each having their own office. Why can't they each take it in turns like a taxi rank. First come first served would seem to most people to be more civilised and customer orienated.

I

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Doolinferries.com MV Happy Hooker= Unhappy Customers

I was heading to Clare Island in July. There are two ferries, each with a portocabin office on the quay. A charming young woman stood outside each, offering tickets at the same price for the same journey. I find situations like that awkward as I feel bad choosing one and ignoring the other!

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
90 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Doolinferries.com MV Happy Hooker= Unhappy Customers

It sounds like it is maybe better to not take the ferry from Doolin? Too bad, as we will be staying close by there.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,143 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Doolinferries.com MV Happy Hooker= Unhappy Customers

All the thousands of satisfied passengers carried every year and it only takes one person to have a moan and these companies become pirates in the eyes of those people who think this is the norm.

Stuff like this won't stop me or thousands like me using whichever ferry is there at the time.

Reply to: Doolinferries.com MV Happy Hooker= Unhappy Customers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted