We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inis Mor and the Cliffs?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Inis Mor and the Cliffs?

Definitely going to Inis Mor. Have so much to do on the other days. Can we skip the Cliffs of Moher? Thanks!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,995 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inis Mor and the Cliffs?

Yes, you can skip the Cliffs of Moher. We did and had no regrets. You'll see cliffs on Inishmore. Also, if you happen to be driving anywhere in the vicinity of Kilkee (County Clare), go there to see the cliffs. The cliff walk is free and you won't find any crowds there like at the Cliffs of Moher.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,829 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inis Mor and the Cliffs?

Having done both this month, I'd definitely skip Inis Mor rather than the Cliffs. Maybe we just got a bad tour bus driver, but the 3+ hours of travel time RT from where we were staying in Salthill wasn't worth it to us.

We also loved the Slieve League Cliffs, which weren't crowded at all--I don't think that tour buses make that drive.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,308 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inis Mor and the Cliffs?

A lot of people skip the Cliffs. Especially with the high admission price for the "experience". I wouldn't lose any sleep over not seeing them.

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inis Mor and the Cliffs?

I agree with other posters. I much preferred the cliffs at Inis Mor because there were no other tourists there and the bonus was no protective barricades whatsoever. Photos from the cliffs at Dun Aonghasa and Dun Duchathair are my favorites. Try to go earlier and hire a bike if you are up to it and the weather is fair.

Cheers!

Sunny

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inis Mor and the Cliffs?

I'm getting the replies I was hoping for. Thanks!

Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inis Mor and the Cliffs?

You can skip the Cliffs of Moher if you'll be seeing Inis Mor. We did both and felt the Cliffs were the one stop that we should have omitted, leaving more time to sightsee in Galway area. We loved seeing Inis Mor by horse and trap. Jerry was our driver.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inis Mor and the Cliffs?

Try and stay over night on Inis Mór. Bikes are definitely the way to go! I'd second going to Dún Ducathair, amazing views, slightly less accessible than Dún Aonghasa so less tourists. The day I visit some people were camping next to the edge of the cliff... mind boggles! :)

Being binoculars if you have them to watch the sea birds.

Waynesville, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inis Mor and the Cliffs?

We did a flight over (as opposed to the ferry) for a day visit earlier this week. Once you get there, Would NOT do it by bus.... Either horse/carriage (trap)....we had Tony and loved it!....or bike. Cliffs at the fort there were amazing. If you get a clear day, I wouldn't them feel the need to see the Cliffs of Moher. Honestly! No regrets, I promise. Enjoy your trip! We are in Dublin now. Heading home tomorrow. 🍀

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
167 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inis Mor and the Cliffs?

We flew to Inishmore (8 min flight) and it was a great view seeing the island from the air. If possible its nice to stay a night on the island and experience it after the day tripper have gone (we stayed 2 night and had one full day on the island) We biked to the fort in the morning before the tours arrived and it was quiet and a wonderful experience. We then ferried to Doolin and took the walk with Pat Sweeney to the Cliffs of Moher from Doolin....a trip highlight to experience the cliffs that way. No hords of tourists and a guide passionate about the area with a wealth of informations. When we went on the tour there were only 3 of us with Pat so it was great.....and only 5 euros per person. Takes about 3 hours

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inis Mor and the Cliffs?

Sounds wonderful! Thank you.

Get answers to your questions about Inishmore