We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

malahide or skerries

Which Skerries hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
107 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
malahide or skerries

Trying to decide on which to stay in October. Any comments would be gratefully received

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,458 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: malahide or skerries

weels, your decision on where to stay would really depend on what you're looking for and although both towns are on the sea they are quite different.

Malahide is closer to Dublin than Skerries. It is considered an "upmarket" place and has a good choice of restaurants and pubs popular with the young professionals. Then there is the castle (open to the public) and a lovely seaside walk to Portmarnock.

Skerries is an old fishing village (now a town) with a working fishing harbour and a great beach. There are restaurants and pubs (some good ones around the harbour) and a lovely restored windmill which is open to the public.

Personally I think that Skerries retains more character but in October it would be much quieter than Malahide.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
571 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: malahide or skerries

It's also worth mentioning that Skerries is much further north of Dublin City than Malahide. Malahide is handier if you want to travel to the city centre and is served by the Dart. Skerries is served by the Commuter trains which don't run as regularly.

Dublin
Level Contributor
793 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: malahide or skerries

I posted a review on Skerries some tim ago...

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g551518-r330…

Let me know if you have any questions on Skerries, as I live there!!!

I agree with the other two posters....

Get answers to your questions about Skerries