We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Which Skerries hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

Loved Skerries and extended stay from 3 to 6 nights for different reasons with one being the town and another enjoying my stay at Redbank Guesthouse - clean, quiet and comfortable. I would recommend both for the independent traveller (including seniors like myself). Single rate was 35 euro b and b and it was a block to downtown with good cafes, grocery stores, etc. and one block more to beach which has a great walk right around to harbour area.

Re eating liked Seasons and Olive's as did not feel up to large meal after fullish breakfast at Redbank. However a number of locals raved about how good the 4 course early bird was there and I noticed a number of people came for the b and b plus dinner option.

I guess I am more into slow travel these days ie getting to explore one spot in depth as enjoyed taking the 33 local bus - great views of ocean to Balbriggan and Rush. I got off at Rush and walked down to harbour. Another day took 33 right into Dublin and then took bus to Howth from Eden Quay. I noticed a number of other tourists took bus to Howth - wonderful views of ocean, twisted around Howth including summit and then made its way down to town. I had a good lunch with a wonderful view at Aqua at the harbour.

I took the DART and commuter train back to Skerries. Train station well positioned to use as base for exploring other parts around Dublin. Think day pass on DART can be had for 8 euros. I enjoyed walking around town and if I make it back to Dublin area sometime would head there.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

We think this is the first full-blown Skerries trip report that we've seen on the forums! We're really glad you enjoyed your stay there. We're very fond of Skerries but it either tends to be bypassed by visitors or it's somewhere they might spend a night, maybe before heading to DUB for a flight home. But you certainly took 'the road less travelled' and by the sounds of it, it paid off for you. You were also following in the tradition of generations of Dubliners for whom, in generations gone by (before cheap air travel), Skerries was a favourite holiday/vacation destination. We hope you do make it back to Dublin soon.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Thanks - I had meant to mention that I found people in Skerries friendly and I had noticed much advice given on TA seems to be based on quickest route etc rather than taking time to experience town and people. I found views from 33 bus much better and scenic than the commuter train. The tops of doubledecker buses great for sightseeing. Felt more secure and relaxing that for example Dublin itself and in terms of cheap travel couldn't have found a "cheaper" week exploring Ireland I think.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

It's just that if you live in a locality, the novelty of long double decker bus journeys through familar territory wears off pretty quickly!

Doing this day in day out isn't feasible for a lot of locals who probably need to get to work etc. pretty quickly and they probably presume that visitors don't really want to spend too much time getting from A to B when there's nothing too exciting to see en route. We have family who live in Skerries and while they are retired and have time on their hands, they take the train as they regard their time left as being too short to commit a relatively big chunk of it to that bus ride for their frequent trips to the city centre!

Edited: 4:12 pm, July 20, 2010
Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

Yes - I understand that as I am an A to B person when working or visiting family etc when at home. However I had the luxury of time to meander and the bus into Dublin did take about 2 hours and then another 30 minutes or more waiting for bus to Howth which was a route I opted not to return by to get back to Skerries. It was in effect a full day trip. Everyone in Skerries was steering me toward train for reasons you mention no doubt.

5. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, January 17, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Skerries