We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Masaya market

Donaldsonville...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Masaya market

Just a heads up for folks going to the market-before we even got out of the vehicle we were surrounded by guys wearing white shirts with the market name embroidered on them-they attached themselves to us and tried to make us purchase from certain vendors. I was looking at hammocks and they got upset when I bought from someone. They kept telling me it was not good quality and insisted I buy from someone else. It was so aggravating and when I told them i wanted to look around on my own they still kept following us. I didn't mind giving them a tip because I realize they are trying to make a living but when I gave each 20 bucks they got angry and wanted more-the guy watching the car was fine with 20 but the other 2 wanted more money. In the time it took to open the car we were surrounded again by guys wanting money-it ended up costing me 80 dollars for the 2 market guys and the guy watching the car. I understand they need to make money and I didn't realize i should have negotiated before they started following us, but I never asked for their help and I was pretty upset by the time I left. The next day I was walking around in Granada and found a lovely place called Tio Antonio that is a non-profit hammock factory and store-the hammocks are incredible-much nicer than the market and a third the price!!! This place is on Real Xalteva and is doing such great work-their focus is on mothers and children, education and health care and provides jobs and refuge for women and children in trouble. I purchased 3 gorgeous hammocks from them for less than what I paid for 1 at Masaya market!!!!! Please go there for hammocks, it is a fabulous non-profit organization and you can actually see the hammocks being made. The courtyard is lovely and the people running the place are so kind and helpful. Just a wonderful place to visit even if you don't want to buy a hammock!!!!

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
1. Re: Masaya market

Tio Antonio is a nice place.

Best bet??

Get a tour guide masayatours@gmail.com

calgary
Level Contributor
97 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Masaya market

YOU SHOULD OF NEVER GAVE INTO THAT!!! You did not agree to the tour so you should of never paid. The market itself is very interesting but if you want a certain artesian product go straight to the source. Hammocks are produced in home all around Masaya,(blocks from the market). Look for the double woven. The pottery is best priced at San Juan del Oriente. The White towns are amazing. There is so many things around the market that you could spent the whole day doing. BUT PLEASE do not turn Nica into a Mexican or Dominican market...use your manners say "no" to the guides IF you don;t want one...negotiate a price with one and enjoy your time.

Merida, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,668 posts
169 reviews
3. Re: Masaya market

Did you really give $20 each to pro who didn't even do anything except give you a hard time and hassle you? This in a country where the average wage is less that $1/hour???? Would you give homeless people in New Orleans $100?

You really are contributing to the problem, amigo

Donaldsonville...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Masaya market

TioAntonio is fantastic. I had no idea I needed a tour guide to go to a market. I was going on my own and just wanted to look around. I was surrounded by a dozen or so guys harassing me for more money. I was afraid of them and that is why I gave them the money.

Donaldsonville...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Masaya market

I was afraid of them and no I wouldn't give people in New Orleans 20 bucks to watch my car. If you are going to say I am to blame I guess you are right-I don't know what else I could do at the time-I literally told the guys to leave me alone -I didn't need or want their help and I wanted to shop on my own -at one point they started to argue with me and everytime I walked away they kept following me. I'm almost 60 yrs old and I had a few 20s in my bag and as I went to leave i was surrounded by a bunch of men yelling at me. I think I was really frightened and felt like the money they wanted was ridiculous but I was afraid not to give it to them. You think I am contributing to this by giving in? Well, I won't do it again, thats for sure.

Donaldsonville...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Masaya market

You blame me for contributing to the problem-you are a young guy and have traveled a lot. The only reason i posted was because I wanted to give a heads up to other people so it won't happen to them. I definitely should not have given them the money because all they did was ruin what could have been a pleasant experience. Believe me, I told them constantly to leave me alone. I tried to get away from them at the market but they kept following me and even got angry when I bought a hammock from someone on my own. You just made me feel worse about the whole thing-thanks a lot.

Donaldsonville...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Masaya market

by the way, Sean, when all is said and done I believe they need the money more than I do and yes, I do give money to homeless people in New Orleans.

Donaldsonville...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: Masaya market

lemonheart-I said no thanks a dozen times until i said no-leave me alone 45 times

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
51,001 posts
42 reviews
9. Re: Masaya market

Thank you JBRAUWN...for a candid report...Im with you 100%..I will be afraid too..you are not part of the problem at all...or causing any problem!

roadadvisor

Donaldsonville...
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Masaya market

Thanks for your post- the other replies made me feel even worse about the experience. I live in the murder capitol of the US (New Orleans) and if I was surrounded by a bunch of guys wanting my money you better believe I would give it to them or face death. So, in my mind, I thought i was doing the right thing by warning other visitors. If I had expected that to happen i would have been better prepared to deal with it. The vendors in the market are laid back and nice-not aggressive at all and I would go back, just better prepared to deal with the hustlers. Thanks for making me feel better!